Hot Surface Ignitor Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scribble

Reaction score
I have a Honeywell Smart Valve that has a intermittent pilot and hot surface ignitor. It worked great with my BCS 460. I was able to fire it up manually and with the BCS. Tested it quite a few times etc... Today I did a test run with 5 gallons of water just to check everything before I brew tomorrow. I was able to heat water to strike temperature then my HSI would no longer glow. I got out my volt meter and started testing things. I've got 24v going to smartvalve. My HSI is supposed to be under 10 Ohms and it is reading 16 so that has got to be the problem. I'm wondering if it got to hot. Did I install it too close? I could smell a little something plasticy when I was heating everything up, but I figured that it was because my mash tun is relatively new.

I am attaching pics.

Thanks again,
Andy

20130906_152909.jpg

20130906_152929.jpg

Weird, now it's working fine again. I'm really skeptical about a brew day as is though.

If I disconnect the power to the smartvalve shouldn't it reset even if it was locking down do to a failed ignition?

Cycling power to the valve will reset the delay and allow it to immediately restart the firing sequence.

The pilot looks like it is mounted too high on the burner, the goal is to set it so the flame just misses the edge of the casting and passes over one of the burner openings. Typical mounting method used a flat surface like a ruler to set top of flame spreader (not ground shroud) even with top of burner openings, and 1/2" from edge of casting so flame would clear.
With the pilot mounted that high, a lot of additional heat stress will be happening to the top of the flame ground shroud and the HSI element, not a good thing for either one.

The issue created by mounting the pilot to high is that it creates excess heat at the base where the spark connector is. This is where the increased resistance is coming from.

Back