Imperial IPA hopping schedule, how does this combination look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenry

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the fruity/citrus IPAs, and thought I'd experiment with some new varieties I've never used before (Summit, Bravo) in conjunction with Cascade/Centennial. What I have so far:

60 min - 1.5 oz Bravo [14.2%]

15 min - 1.0 oz Bravo [14.2%]
- 1.0 oz Cascade [5.5%]
- 1.0 oz Centennial [9.9%]

5 min - 1.5 oz Summit [16.8%]
- 1.0 oz Bravo [14.2%]

0 min - 1.0 oz Cascade [5.5%]
- 1.0 oz Bravo [14.2%]
- 1.0 oz Centennial [9.9%]

Dry - 1.5 oz Bravo [14.2%]
- 1.5 oz Summit [16.8%]
- 1.0 oz Cascade [5.5%]

With the grainbill I have that schedule should be netting around 110 IBUs or so. Any input from people who have used Summit or Bravo? I really would like to add some depth to my hopping schedules, up to now all I've really been brewing is straight Cascade/Centennial IPAs. Which are good and all, but I'm wanting something more to taste I guess.

If you want fruity/citrusy throw amarillo/citra/zythos into the late hopping mix. On my imperials in the 1.085 range I like to dry hop on at least 1oz per gallon.

Okay, I've done some rethinking, and I came up with this. I know it's more hop varieties than is usually suggested, but I feel like they'll all put forth what I'm looking for. I do want a little bit of resin/pine from the Chinook, but domination of citrus and floral from the Cascade, Centennial, and Amarillo. And Summit because why not? I'm brewing this mainly for my dad, because I really do think he's a bigger hop head than I am.

Batch size: 5.5 gal
OG: 1.080
FG: Hopefully around 1.012
Yeast: US-05 cake from APA (I want this a dry son of a gun)
IBUs: 136 calculated
Mash: 152*F for 60 mins

13.0 lb 2-row
1.0 lb Vienna
8.0 oz Crystal 20*L
1.0 lb Dextrose

2.0 oz Bravo (14.2%) - 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - 15 min
1.0 oz Summit (17.2%) - 15 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (9.5%) - 15 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - 5 min
1.0 oz Centennial (9.9%) - 5 min
1.0 oz Chinook (13.1%) - 5 min
1.0 oz Centennial (9.9%) - 0 min
1.0 oz Summit (17.2%) - 0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (9.5%) - 0 min
2.0 oz Cascade - 7 day dry hop
1.0 oz Centennial - 7 day dry hop
1.0 oz Chinook - 7 day dry hop
1.0 oz Summit - 7 day dry hop

Am I throwing too many hops at this than necessary (16 oz if you don't want to add)? I want this to be a crisp, straight showcase of hops that my dad and I can enjoy. Our lupulin threshold shift (be it real or imaginary) has gotten kinda out of hand, so we need something to satisfy our needs.

Looks pretty good. I would cut the 60 min a little and add a FWH but that's opinion. Also I've heard of breweries doing a cooling break at 180F for about 15-20 minutes to get more out of the flameout adds. The dry hop looks too big to me but it could be mind blowing. Last you might want to mash a few degrees cooler and longer to make sure you hit your FG

Looks pretty good. I would cut the 60 min a little and add a FWH but that's opinion. Also I've heard of breweries doing a cooling break at 180F for about 15-20 minutes to get more out of the flameout adds. The dry hop looks too big to me but it could be mind blowing. Last you might want to mash a few degrees cooler and longer to make sure you hit your FG

Does a FWH addition add any flavor, or is it just for the reported smooth bittering? In my opinion, Bravo gives a very smooth bitterness to begin with, my last IPA used 1 oz @ 60 min and it really doesn't come off as assertive bitterness. If there's more depth to be gained in the hopping from FWH I'll probably throw an ounce of Cascade in the first runnings.

Thanks for the heads up on the cooling break, I'll definitely be trying that with this batch. And mashing at 150*F for 90 min to help hit my FG.

Back