new to kegs, but is this ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
I found this

Young's Brew Pressure Barrel 5 Gallon at Wilkinson Plus

I cant find that much info on it, and im completely new to kegging.

I plan to keg cider, and if liek to always have a supple of it on tap, so i would get a couple of these.

What else would i need for these? Any advice for a noob to kegging?

And are these the kind of kegs id want to hold and tap my cider?

that looks like something you would still have to use priming sugar for if you are looking to have a carbonated cider. i've never seen those... i'd be interested to know more about them also. i use refurbished soda kegs and force carbonate.

If you're planning on kegging, I would recommend going through the Sticky FAQs first. The link you gave looks like one of those proprietary 'Mr. Beer' type kits that's intended to ease people into the homebrewing process. I'd say that's good for starting out and deciding whether or not you want to pursue the hobby, but kegging is a bit of an investment.

I used to use those types of kegs when I lived in Ireland. They were pretty much all you could get across the pond back then. In fact I had never heard of corny kegs until I came to the US.

There are types which take a CO2 shot from a small 'soda-stream' type CO2 cannister through the lid to keep them pressurized - otherwise you have to crack the lid to gravity flow, once the initial pressure is released. The one in the picture does not seem to have the gas connect, so your beer/cider will stale quickly unless consumed in one sitting.
I had one called a King Keg which worked well for me, here it is:
Brew your own King Keg 5 Gallon Premium Top Tap Barrel

It sports a gas connect, and a floating dispenser which allegedly alows you to drink ther clear beer from top, while the bottom of the keg is still clearing.

Hope this helps

Back