can pumpkin in hop bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenArmBrewing

Reaction score
I've been trolling for hours and have found people mashing the can pumpkin, baking first than mashing, throwing it into the boil kettle, in the fermenter, in the secondary.

Most attempts show a great loss of wort/beer due to the sediment of all the mashed pumpkin.

Problem...cloning ST PumKing is an expensive grain bill only to yield 3 to 4 gallons out if a 5 galling batch. Yes I could make up some water and DME and add that, but how about this ...

Solution: does mashing only give enough pumpkin flavor?
Can I put the pumpkin into nylon hop bags (super fine mesh) and boil the pumpkin.....then possibly place mesh bad into primary allowing easily to be removed?

Sorry for the long post...seemed like a viable option. When is the best time to add the pumpkin?

I really didn't lose much wort when mashing canned pumpkin when I cloned Pumking. It's definitely a sticky mash, requiring rice hulls in my opinion. It's not like the pumpkin is dry...there's definitely water content in pumpkin, so I don't see why it would soak up that much wort. Even if it did, you can just increase your volume to get 5G into the keg/bottling bucket.

Honestly, pumpkin ales are mostly about the spices...pumpkin doesn't have a whole lot of flavor. I'd feel weird calling it a pumpkin ale without using pumpkin, so I used Libby's canned.

Good information. So just mash eh? Any detectable Pumkin using that method? I'm toying with the idea of a new 10 gallon mash tun or cut down in the grain bill.....if I get new tun, then I doubt ill ever need a bigger one.

I had the exact same idea. But I just baked the canned pumpkin on a cookie sheet until it just started turning brown. Scraped it into the mash tun and mashed as usual along with a pound of rice hulls. Ended up being the smoothest sparge I have had yet.

Flavor is very subtle. I did not want to use all spice, but i think a little would have enhanced the pumpkin.

Sweet. I thought I wanted to go the fresh pumkin route and bake, but u can't get them in Florida until late August or September and it seemsblike thus recipe needs some conditioning time

Anyone know how to use the canned pumpkin for extract brewing maybe even a partial mash

Latest posts

Back