How to Brew's Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricT

Reaction score
Have any of you brewed the Mill Run Stout recipe from Palmers' "How to Brew"? I just brewed it this weekend and am wondering if anyone else has brewed it and if so what you would change if anything. I am thinking of adding some coffee to a secondary. But in a way I want to see how it comes out as is. Decisions decisions.

I haven't brewed that exact recipe, but I have an American Stout recipe which is quite similar. I like that one as-is.

Taste your beer at racking time. I suspect it'll taste just fine. If it does, bottle it up. If you decide to add the coffee, add it to taste.

My personal procedure is to brew each new recipe to completion and tasting it finished before making any tweaking decisions. YMMV!

Good luck! :mug:

Bob

Thanks for the response Bob, that is pretty much what I was thinking. See how it turns out as is.

Another option if you have the containers for it, is to split the batch and rack into two smaller secondaries keeping one the same and modifying the other to taste. That way you can do a side by side comparison.

Another option if you have the containers for it, is to split the batch and rack into two smaller secondaries keeping one the same and modifying the other to taste. That way you can do a side by side comparison.

Thats a pretty good idea too. Didnt think of that, thanks.:p

Its been fermenting for 7 days, decided to check the gravity and its at 1.013. Hopefully it doesn't go any lower. I'll probably bottle this tomorrow. I'm taking the advice of fermentedhiker and splitting the batch. Just got done steeping 1/3 cup of ground coffee grounds into 32 oz of water. Its cooling as I type, I don't want too much coffee flavor just a bit so I will add about 12 oz and give it a taste before adding the rest if needed.
Also, after tasting the gravity sample it is very roasty, I think its going to be good.

Update:
This has been in the Bottle for just over 2 weeks conditioning. Both the Coffee and run of the Mill stout taste great. I had a friend try it just to see what he thought of it in its young age and he loved the smokey aftertaste from the chocolate malt. The Hops is very well rounded in this recipe and I expect it to only get better as it ages. I'll get a picture to post when it has been bottled a good 3 weeks or so.

Back