Affect of contact with skin on beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aluftig1

Reaction score
okay this may be the lamest question I've ever asked on this forum.... but I was brewing today and was in the final stage of the process (adding yeast to the wort) when a cap fell into my beer.

Without thinking, I reached into the beer and pulled it out.

Anyone have a sense whether this will ruin my beer? Will contact with skin and/or the probable bacteria on skin infect the brew?

Wish I hadnt done that, but its too late now!

It happens. It's not good, but it's not the end of the world. There is a possibility of infection, but the odds are slim. You'll just have to wait it out to see what happens, but I'd be willing to bet that it'll be just fine.

I might be a little bit more anal about my process than I really need to be, but I'll occasionaly spray my hands with Star San. I keep a spray bottle handy for that, and other last second sanitation issues.

I had to stick my hand in the bottling bucket to tighten the spigot one time. Not something I would normally do, but the beer didn't get infected.

Hmm. Since this was your fist post, that means it is the only question you've asked on this forum. That, by definition means it is indeed the lamest question you've ever asked on this forum.:D

Meh, your beer will be just fine.........

HA! Actually I have submitted questions before...only it was awhile ago and I forgot my username and password so I gave up and just started a new profile :)

Thanks for the encouragment! I also called my homebrew store and they told me that the yeast takes care of most of the bacteria so here's hoping. I'd never heard of that before...

Anyway, i'll let you guys know in a month if I ruined it or not! But thanks for providing some comfort that maybe I didnt....

Back