Yeast settling... problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ara35

Reaction score
So I made cheese’s vanilla caramel cream ale and I pitched 2 vials of white labs german ale with expired best before dates (11/20/09 and 11/18/09). The guy at the HB store told me if I pitched two vials I shouldn’t have any problems. This was at 4 am Sunday morning. Don’t worry, I didn’t let it sit overnight, it was a late night brew session. Anyway, I checked this morning and all the yeast is resting on the bottom and there is no kraussen (sp.). should I wait? Or get more yeast? I cant remember if this is what is supposed to happen. Does the yeast settle before the fermentation??

Please help… this is my 4th batch, but I seem to still have some trouble.

I am still a noob I so prolly not the best to answer. But I just made a cream ale as well, and I pitched my yeast from a starter, wich also went to the bottom for a bit. Then started to come back up and the airlock started going nuts. I would wait a bit.

Wouldn't worry ... sometimes it takes a bit for the yeast to really get working on it. Pitching 2 vials seems like a good idea in this case. I'll bet it gets going in a day or so.

Yeast can settle out during the growth phase, which can run 2-72 hours. Once fermentation starts, they'll take off (literally).

Sorry to be over anxious. fermentation has kicked off well. smells delicious!

Latest posts

Back