gas or liquid? Which way to go...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyseany

Reaction score
trying to start planning a brew stand... Thinking of doing a single level stand with 4 burners with an end burner being able to be adjusted higher (thinking square tubing inside square tubing with steel pins to adjust height)

I have a huge basement so size is not an issue. I also have a good sized garage that it could be kept in or even wheeled out side... Pros and cons of each?

why 4 burners? We have gotten into canning the last year or so and have a glass top stove so would like it to double to use for canning in the fall...

ok so main question would be...

#1 in basement with natural gas... On stand or really close water supply... No MT tanks... And???

#2 garage and/or outdoor brewstand with propane..... Garden hose water supply... Portable and outside...

any advice and opinions would be great!

thanks,
Sean

Electric

I've done them all and electric works the best.

Second best for me was NG, propane refill or exchange was a pain, as was running out or switching tanks in the middle of a brew or BBQ.

Ask yourself the following question. If my house burned down would the insurance company attempt to blame it on my gas brew rig?

If the answer is, "I don't want to take that chance with an insurance company" then go electric or too the unattached garage.

Electric

I've done them all and electric works the best.

Second best for me was NG, propane refill or exchange was a pain, as was running out or switching tanks in the middle of a brew or BBQ.

Electric is also incredibly expensive if you have an older house. I've looked at the amperage requirements, and there's just no way I could do that without dropping 5 grand to have the service to my house upgraded. Hell, I may do it anyway because we can't currently run the AC and dishwasher at the same time (it's an OLD house in an OLD neighborhood), but that would be too much to spend *just* to run a brew stand. From what I've read an electric brew stand is going to have roughly the same requirements as running an arc welder. (ie. You'll want to have 200 amp service to your house.)

It's definitely the way to go if you have the service to handle it, but a lot of older houses don't, and upgrading ain't cheap.

I'd go NG. Getting propane tanks filled/swapped is both expensive and a pain in the ass. Plus, when you have the plumber there you can get your grill converted at the same time and never have to buy a propane tank again.

My sentiments are electric if indoors, natural gas if outdoors. I currently am brewing on propane outside but as soon as winter comes I will be finishing my electric setup and moving things inside.

Propane isn't bad if you're doing single vessel BIAB like I am but I imagine nothing would ruin a 3 vessel, direct fire brew day like running out of gas. I used to live in PA/NY and I wouldn't want to be wearing a parka to brew in the winter, I'd make a solid year round electric brewery in your basement. Plumbing it for water could likely be done very easily, maybe some sweet pot filler faucets or something could be added for convenience.

Hell, I may do it anyway because we can't currently run the AC and dishwasher at the same time (it's an OLD house in an OLD neighborhood), but that would be too much to spend *just* to run a brew stand.

Maybe it's time to check out your house's wiring too my friend, if it's that old.

Maybe it's time to check out your house's wiring too my friend, if it's that old.

Oh, believe me, I have been. I've found lots of scary stuff and fixed it. The house itself is now up to modern standards, it's just upgrading the service from the street to the house that is cost prohibitive at the moment.

I burn with NG in my basement. But I keep a fire extinguisher near by as well :D

Ask yourself the following question. If my house burned down would the insurance company attempt to blame it on my gas brew rig?

If the answer is, "I don't want to take that chance with an insurance company" then go electric or too the unattached garage.

well ... The garage is attached and that is where I usually use my propane turkey fryer to do extract brewing.

why is my house burning down? Is a properly setup NG brewrig much more dangerous to use then a natural gas stove or dryer?

I'm trying to think ... Other then the NG leaking... What else is flamable? The wort isn't is it? (i haven't had a boilover yet so I don't know)...

really not interested in going electric as I'd like to be able to interchange pots and pans, etc. for canning as well (in all fairness I haven't really looked at electeic brewing much but thought I read where you insert the heating elements into the pot itsself and not just a big electric stove burner)

I would go with the garage route. This way you can wheel it outside during the nice days, keep it in the garage on the not so nice days. That's me.

Back