I feel the noobiness fading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski36t

Reaction score
I feel like I am getting the hang of this. I knocked out a Magic Hat #9 clone last night in about 4.5 hrs.

Target gravity was 1.047, I hit 1.050

I use my first round of self frozen yeast with a starter and it worked beautifully.

I bought my first bulk purchase of grains, 55 lbs of Marris Otter.

I double crushed, just to see how far I could push my efficiency, and got 80%. I lost a little in the lautering filtration though.

Basically, my futures so bright, I have to wear shades :cool:

Couldn't have done it without you guys!

Hey ski36t , How about that #9 recipe ? Wanna share ? I'm thinkin' of making this one my next A.G Shane

yea.. what about that recipe?? I ha;ve the one from BYO and wondered if thats the one you're using. I just bottled my first All grain (pale ale) and wanted to try the Magic Hat #9 clone as my next brew.

My second AG was the #9 recipe from BYO, and it's pretty good. If I do it again I might cut back on the apricot a bit though. It was excessively strong in my brew.

D2T said:
My second AG was the #9 recipe from BYO, and it's pretty good. If I do it again I might cut back on the apricot a bit though. It was excessively strong in my brew.

After the boil I gave it a taste. Besides tasting delicious:ban: I would never have been able to pick out the apricot flavor if I didn't already know it was there. So unless it really comes through after fermentation, I think I'm good.

sixtyten said:
yea.. what about that recipe?? I ha;ve the one from BYO and wondered if thats the one you're using. I just bottled my first All grain (pale ale) and wanted to try the Magic Hat #9 clone as my next brew.

Yup that is the one I used...for the most part. The LHBS was out of Warrior hops so I used Magnum and of course I played with the grain bill some to fit my needs. The BYO recommended using 60L crystal but with that the color would have come out a bit light. I had a half pound of 120L laying around and punched it into beersmith and the color was right on.

Latest posts

Back