Made stareter saturday and am brewing thursday, ehat do i do with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Just made a starter it's my second starter I've ever made. I Made a yesterday anticipating brewing today. I had to postpone brew day till Thursday. What should I do with my starter? It's just sitting in a cabinet

Toss it in the fridge. Take it out and add a little more wort the day before you brew.

Is it possible to make too big of a starter? Or add to much yeast to a beer?

If it hadn't already fermented out it's probably still slowly working in the fridge. It would have been better to have let it finish the job before sticking it in the fridge but I'd just leave it there and then like was said earlier, take it out a few hours before you plan to brew, decant and feed with some wort. You'll be good to go by the time you have to pitch.

When decanting yeast you just pour out the wort and use the yeast cake on the bottom Nd add new wort?

When decanting yeast you just pour out the wort and use the yeast cake on the bottom Nd add new wort?

Yup. Pour slowly to leave as much of the yeast as you can, you don't need to get it all out, just pour off what you can and add clean wort. Not a bad idea to sanitize or flame the edges of the containers either before pouring.

image-3205279720.jpg

Depends... use www.yeastcalc.com to put in your (anticipated) starting gravity, the date of the yeast, the volume of the starter and the type of aeration and it will let you know by cell count. The big variable is the viability of the yeast to start with because unless you're using a microscope and stains, you can't really tell if you had 100%, 75%, 50% etc viability.

Looks like you have a ~700ml starter, which could be too low depending on the OG/SG, viability, and the type of aeration (use the calc).

What's up with the pink moscato?:rockin:

Is it possible to make too big of a starter? Or add to much yeast to a beer?

Yes. In order to get the proper ester profile, you need to pitch the right amount, not too much or too little. IIRC the target is about 75 billion cells for an ale, and 150 billion for a lager, for a five gallon batch. Overpitching doesn't often happen when homebrewing. It can if you use a recent yeast cake as your "pitch", too much washed slurry from a recent brew, or make too big of a starter. Liquids yeast usually has us underpitching, at least by commercial standards. That's one reason why we make "starters", that is, propagate a yeast culture to pitch.

Back