Filter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikiwestcoast

Reaction score
Ok so I've made 5, 5gal batches of tasty cider over the last while and I continue to have the same problem. I get small bits of yeast that settle out after bottling within a few days in the fridge. My process is quite simple.
5 gal natural pressed apples- pasteurized
add sugar to get 1.06
English cider yeast
time.
Rack to secondary after wart reaches 1.0
let sit till clear
sweet to taste
filter trough cheese cloth
bottle with 3 carb tabs each bottle
when carb is where I want, stove top pasteurize.
refrigerate.
Then after a few days there are always little bits of yeast floating in my cup when I pour a bottle. Now this isn't really a big deal, but last time I opened a bottle of Sam Smith, there were no free floating bits of yeast. So how do I get rid of them? One thought was to abandon the carb tabs and just filter and stove top pasteurize the whole 5 gallons and the force carb each bottle with a co2 from a canister - I have the equipment for that, but it seems like a lot of work, if it wont solve the problem. Have any of you found a solution for this?

Filtering, via a filter setup and not cheesecloth, will remove smaller particles. Bottle carbing will typically result in sediment and yeast trub. Filtering, pasteurizing, and force carbing typically yields a sediment free product.

But you really should consider upgrading your filter system...a gravity unit will do, but if you are able to setup a vacuum system for $40 or less in US you can use an inline filtration system from a common household system. I grabbed my filter setup from FiltersFast, with the help from Steve who created the All-in-One vacuum system.

IF you are using a clear carboy,you can set the siphon hose just above the lee's and leave 98% behind.If you do it ,1st rack and secondary,theres minimal left to float.
Empty the lee's into a clear gallon jug/wait 2 days and pour off remaining juice into a plastic bottle/freeze. Now you have good stuff to top off with when needed.:mug:

The yeast in your bottles comes from doing a 'natural carbination' in the bottles. To get no sediment in the bottle AND HAVE CARBONATION, you will have to rack, use fining agents, or filter to remove all sediment. Then force carb. Sorry!

As stated it's from bottle carbing...just let it sit longer in the fridge, open carefully and decant into a glass and leave the last 1/4" of liquid in the bottle.

That's what I thought. I do primary and secondary in a clear glass carboy and always leave the last little bit so when I rack it's always crystal with no sediment floating or on the bottle. I was pretty sure the problem came from natural carbing. Thanks for the filtering ideas, I'll look into them. So this poses question number 2. My original thought was to:
After secondary and letting it sit to clear to where I want it, Back sweeten the whole 5 gal to taste and then transfer all 5 gal to the stove to stove top pasteurize, and kill off all remaining yeast. Then what is the best way to force carb?
My thought was hook up a regulator and a blower spout to a co2 container, Fill all bottles then blast the bottles one at a time and cap.
My 2 questions now are:
Will heating up the cider to 190 to pasteurize cause the clarity of the finished product to be cloudy? And, can I force carb the whole pot at one time and then bottle, or am I better off doing it one bottle at a time?

The filling and blasting with CO2 won't work. You need to dissolve the CO2 into the cider for it too be bubbly, not just put a small amount in the neck of the bottle. Most people force carbonate over the course of a few days to weeks inside a corny keg at low temperatures.

Here's a useful thread from the bottling/kegging forum.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/

That's what I thought. I do primary and secondary in a clear glass carboy and always leave the last little bit so when I rack it's always crystal with no sediment floating or on the bottle. I was pretty sure the problem came from natural carbing. Thanks for the filtering ideas, I'll look into them. So this poses question number 2. My original thought was to:
After secondary and letting it sit to clear to where I want it, Back sweeten the whole 5 gal to taste and then transfer all 5 gal to the stove to stove top pasteurize, and kill off all remaining yeast. Then what is the best way to force carb?
My thought was hook up a regulator and a blower spout to a co2 container, Fill all bottles then blast the bottles one at a time and cap.
My 2 questions now are:
Will heating up the cider to 190 to pasteurize cause the clarity of the finished product to be cloudy? And, can I force carb the whole pot at one time and then bottle, or am I better off doing it one bottle at a time?

You could heat it up to kill the yeast, or hit it with sorbate. To carbonate you have to pressurize it in a keg for a few days.

Thanks for the feed back! I will have to look into different equipment to do that I guess. So for now, I'll just enjoy the small bits!

Latest posts

Back