Friday chalk time for Sunday Brew - Choices.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullDraw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How about some input. Supply choices are limited, but I'm brewing Sunday.

I'm making a Roasted Amber Ale.

I have a 50# sack, so I attempted oven roasting my own grains.
1# was done dry at 375* for 40 min to make what has been described as a Deep Amber Malt
1# was done wet to the same specs.

The difference between the 2 is noticeble. The wet is slightly lighter and does have a bit of sweetness to it.

First order. Yeast. I need to get the starter going.

Here's what I have on hand.

American Ale Blend
Pacific Ale
S-05

Also Kolsch and Saison, but I'd like to stay away from them.

I'm planning on a hot mash - 158* for a shorter time ,45 minutes.

I'm going for full body.

Which yeast gets started? We'll hammer out the rest soon.

Ok, with zero input from the crowd, I'm going with s05. Purely for the neutrality of the yeast.

I'll figure out the rest.

On a side note, if I would have posted this in drunken ramblings with a pic of a huge rack, I'd have tons of responses.

Enjoy work today.

Maybe I'm wrong but I though that after home roasting grain you need to let it sit for a week or so in a paper sack. I'm quite partial to S-05 so that's my vote. What you doing with hops?

Life!

I've read that if you toast for more than an hour, you should let it set. I only did 40 min. I've done 25 minutes before and used the next day with only good results (Lake Walk Pale Ale).

I have the s-05 kickin hard in the starter right now.

I'm using up a few pellet hops.
60 min - 1/2oz Centennial
20 min - 1/4oz Cascade
5 min - 1/4 oz Cascade

That puts me in the low 20's for IBUs. I don't want them to be a feature in this experiment.

Grains are all crushed (smell great btw), propane is full, cold weather clothing is getting put on.

Brew starts at noon. I'll update how things went. I'm optimistic for a good flavored session brew. But then again, I always go in positive. I wouldn't do it otherwise.

Centennial and cascade sound good. I usually use the centennial to flavor /aroma charges. I tend to get minty/floral from them and like that a lot in blondes and summer ales.

I agree with your hop flavors, that's why I did centennial first. I really want to taste the flavors from the roasting of the malts, then the fullness from a short mash (ended up at 156 - too cold and windy out), then a nice subtle hop on the back.

I'll say the color is much deeper than I thought. My toasting level was Deep Amber, but wow, it's going to look very good when finished. Hope it tastes as good as it smelled in the mash.

It's bubbling away in the brewroom right now.

Back