Max amount of corn sugar for kegging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew!Brew!

Reaction score
So im about to keg a batch of beer which I beleieve is going to be a fairly sweet brew. (Lots of honey, no hops) So i want the carbonation to be higher than a traditional ale. I usually add the suggested 1/3 corn sugar but am wondering how much i can add to get a more carbonated beer without over carbing, or get excessive foaming.

Braggot (aka Bracket, Braket, Brackett...), depending on who's talking and how much "lots of honey" really is. A Braggot would typically be 50/50 malt/honey. Might also be classified as a gruit, if you used some other herb for bittering.

I really think the style is all about boosting the ABV.

A half cup would be about right, but don't forget you'll need a longer line on the tap.

Well its not quite a bracket, only a good few lbs of honey. It has no hops because beleieve it or not my lhbs was out of hops.

So i need to put a longer line on with half a cup? why is that?

and also if I force carb it with no sugar and 30 psi, I then should take it off pressure and wait how long tilll it should be done carbonating?

Well its not quite a bracket, only a good few lbs of honey. It has no hops because beleieve it or not my lhbs was out of hops.

So i need to put a longer line on with half a cup? why is that?

and also if I force carb it with no sugar and 30 psi, I then should take it off pressure and wait how long tilll it should be done carbonating?

To force carb, you don't take it off the pressure- you keep it on. That way the co2 is forced into the beer. 30 psi is only for the first three days or so, thereafter keep it at a decent serving pressure. For a highly carbed beverage, you may want a higher psi than regular beer, like maybe 15 psi or so. That's why you'll need longer lines- to allow the higher carbonation without foaming.

Well, you'd have to consult a chart to get it exactly right. But, NO. 5 feet is too short for just about anything, I think. I use 8 feet for 12 psi. I use 25 feet for 30 psi (root beer). With only 5 feet of tubing, just about anything above a real low serving pressure will cause excessive foaming.

Latest posts

Back