Hefe with DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
Can anyone post a good recipie for an extract Hefe using DME.

I plan on adding raspberries to the secondary- How much?

I made this one for my uncle, and he seems to like it: 6 lb wheat DME, 1/4 lb flaked oats, 1/4 lb flaked wheat, 1/2 oz Tettnager (boil), 1/2 oz Hallertau (boil), Irish moss at 15 minutes, and Wyeast 3638. O.G. 1.052 F.G. 1.012. I used oats for this recipe just to be a little different. As for fruit, Id say probably 3 lbs in secondary

ok- I got a hopped malt extract from the LBHS and I bought some DME-

I thought it was 2lbs. But it was 3lbs and I added it all. It will be fine right? maybe a little more alc?

And since nobody cares, its been bubbling like mad for the past hour. the wife had to clean off the carboy once already.

If you're looking to add some fruit flavor, I'd recommend just using some extract from your LHBS. Just add it at bottling time. So very, very much easier than dealing with real fruit and so much cleaner. Most come in 4oz bottles and that should be just enough for a subtle flavor.

I have a friend who used raspberry tea in his wheat beer and the results were very good. I think he used 8 or 10 tea bags that he steeped for 15 minutes or so after the boil.

Kubed said:
... Most come in 4oz bottles and that should be just enough for a subtle flavor.

I'm about ready to play with this and been looking for a guide on how much extract to use.

So 4oz to a 5 gallon batch is atleast half as strong as Sam Adams cherry wheat then? :)

Latest posts

Back