HELP! There are hops in my IPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoNova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made the mistake of dry hopping by simply dumping my hops into my secondary (no muslin bag) assuming that cold crashing before kegging would leave the hop residue at the bottom of the carboy. :eek:

Now the beer tastes GREAT. But there are visible hop particles floating in each glass of beer I pour. Got a party tomorrow night and would be ashamed to offer people beer with "stuff" floating around in it.

Am I doomed?

Stainless steel scrubby on the end of your dip tube? You may have to re-force carb it by tomorrow night.

Or, tell them it's an IIIIIIIWTF?IPA.

You could try gelatin, it might have some effect over night....other than that, dunno, just tell them that's the way it's supposed to be.

Eff it man. I always dry hop like that and never worry about a bit of hop particles in my brew. That's the proof that you're creating pure, unfiltered, and small scale batches.

Tell thems it's hops. They will be amazed and ask you some questions about it.

The last time I mentionned hops to someone, he asked me to bring some so he can taste it...

Tell thems it's hops. They will be amazed and ask you some questions about it.

The last time I mentionned hops to someone, he asked me to bring some so he can taste it...

:off:
I had two friends brew with me on different brews. When I opened the grain sack both times, they BOTH asked me if those were the hops. People just don't know!! Once you start to share with them, they always want to know more.

One of them still thinks the hops add the color though. DOH!

They might settle out, if you don't disturb the keg and then pull a few leafy pints. Or tell people it's good for them.

I almost spit my coffee out at the title, lol.

I have used a hop bag over the end of the syphon to get bits out.

It works best over the output end of the syphon. Secure with a sanitized rubber band.

I did the exact same thing last night... I am drinking as we speak.. I don't worry about the clarity...the taste speaks for itself.

get a home depot paint strainer bag, santize bag, put it on your ale pale, rack into the pale (through the paint strainer) then back. youll get tons of crap out!

Instead of racking a fully carbonated beer, raise the liquid dip tube high enough that you can zip tie a one-gallon paint strainer around the end and then re-submerge. The strainer will filter the hops and the pressure is low enough that it will not clog the intake. Been there...done that.

I can tell you that they will not settle out. This happens everytime I make a Pliny Clone. I do dryhop in a nylon mesh bag but still get little floaties in the final product. They seem to be in every beer down to the last pint. Sorry, but I have not found a fix for it yet (of course I haven't made any major attempts either). Keep us posted, I'd love to get those floaties out of my next Pliny Clone.

Guys-

I ended up doing nothing about the hop particles and it has now cleared up very nicely. I would say the first 6-8 pints had the floaties, but after that, clear. BTW, this is Yooper's DFH 60 minute clone. :mug: It tastes amazing.

63551_650280276012_6114208_37642512_2662554_n.jpg

what i always do when i have non-brewers or uneducated-about-beer people come over and drink is make it seem like a good thing.

"Here's a beer I just made. It's so good, look i even added HOP PARTICLES to the beer to give it extra flavor"*gasp!**bigsmile*

The title of this thread is so almost deserving of a prost.........

Good thread, don't get me wrong, lol.

The next one should be "Help! alcohol in my barleywine!" lol.

Instead of racking a fully carbonated beer, raise the liquid dip tube high enough that you can zip tie a one-gallon paint strainer around the end and then re-submerge. The strainer will filter the hops and the pressure is low enough that it will not clog the intake. Been there...done that.
BM...is the mesh on the strainer bags small enough to filter out the hop particles? I use a strainer for mashing (BIAB)...and plenty plenty still gets through the mesh. Maybe hops are bigger particles?

Back