Dumb Sankey Keg Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
Ok I am sure this is a dumb question.

I am interested in using Sankey kegs as fermenters to make 10 gallon batches. But I am unsure of how you use them???

I know you can buy dip tube/ lids I have seen those. But how do you get beer in there? They have that ball/lock thingy there where the tap goes. How do you remove that?

Also so you can only insert/remove beer from that small hole. Is cleaning it a tough job?

There should be a spring clip around the inside of the opening. Remove that witha small pair of pliers. Then turn the inside spear until the notches align, then it lifts up and out. I like his wrench trick for relieving pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pros to Fermenting with sanke kegs are:

1. Light tight
2. Stainless Steel cleanlyness
3. Once sealed, easy transport Non Breakable!

Cons:

1. HEAVY, with out the added 80+ pounds of wort.
2. Use to be difficult to clean after racking.
3. Little more difficult to get ur hands on.

These are great for fermenting:
Sanke-Fermenter-Kits/

Great Sanke Cleaner tool:
Sanke version may not be listed here on website but email him.

So theoretically you could just use a carboy cap and then syphon the beer out with no issues?

Bums me out I used to manage a place where I could get sankey's for pretty much free but I think I can use my contacts to get a couple for the price of the deposit ;)

So theoretically you could just use a carboy cap and then syphon the beer out with no issues?

That's what I do! :tank: Orange carboy cap heated and stretched over the opening. To clean I fill with hot water and oxiclean and let it soak for a couple of days, if you're really paranoid you could fill it with 3-4 gallons of water/oxi and put it on your burner.

Ok I am sure this is a dumb question.

I am interested in using Sankey kegs as fermenters to make 10 gallon batches. But I am unsure of how you use them???

I know you can buy dip tube/ lids I have seen those. But how do you get beer in there? They have that ball/lock thingy there where the tap goes. How do you remove that?

Also so you can only insert/remove beer from that small hole. Is cleaning it a tough job?

Cleaning a Sankey is very easy. A little PBW (or oxyclean and TSP mixed) and fill up with warm water. Let sit for a few days and then rinse well. (Garden hose) Fill with 1 gallon of starsan. Shake and then cap it off until your brew day.

Yes, Sankeys are heavy when filled with 10-12 gallons of wort. I put mine on a $9 furniture cart (Harbor Freight) and roll it into position.

There lots of You-Tube videos on how to remove keg valves. It takes me an entire 90 seconds.

To get a used keg, go to your local party store and ask if you can buy a returned keg. Sometimes they will sell you one at the cost of a deposit ($30-50). or, they may have one that is kinda beat up and not going back to the distributor. I prefer to buy a 1/2 barrel of beer and then use the keg. AB kegs are the best for homebrewing. :)

Back