Snow-globe Looking Belg. Quad in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedonist91

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm not sure if someone has posted something like this before, but I couldn't seem to find it.
Aimed for a tripel, ended up with a quad, and it had a vigorous fermentation to start. Needed a blow off tube, 'cause my carboy is only 5 gallons, and I had a OG of 1.107 before pitching my starter, which almost overflowed it.

So, while it was fermenting, the carboy looked like one of those snow-globes you see around christmas time. Crazy stuff. I'm figuring that was yeast going ape-****, and I let it go. It's been about 3 weeks and I haven't moved it to the secondary yet, because it was going so damn buck wild I didn't wanna touch it.
Now, the buck-wild has stopped, but all that "snow" is sitting motionless, suspended. The trub has increased in size, too. I guess some of it is settling out?
My question is, do you think this will all eventually settle out? I don't want a snowy beer when I bottle next year, so if it doesn't, do I try to filter it? Do I use gelatin finnings to clarify? Would that break belgian traditional brewing? Did I already do that? If I filter it, will it eliminate the yeast needed for bottle conditioning? Any imput is much appreciated. I can't wait to drink this mofo.

Thanks guys.:mug:

Update: Just checked the gravity with my wine theif. I'm already down to 1.054, making it about 7 percent. It has a slick mouthfeel, which i'm hoping will be reduced when it clears. Tastes like sweet holy heaven, except sweet, which makes sense. The airlock bubbles every 19 seconds or so. Very, very consisten fermentation. Never had one like it. Sucessful brews are so satisfying. Not counting my chickens just yet though.

PS-Another question-Since the fermentation slowed down, and it's been in primary 24days or so, should I rack to 2ndary? I'm afraid if I do, I'll leave behind too much yeast- There's chunks on top that fall down, float and move whenever I move the carboy, so I'm figuring that's just happy yeast doing its job. Should I rack away from those for the sake of not gaining harsh flavors from the trub?

You will find that many of us leave our beers in primary for 3-4 weeks and only secondary if we are adding fruit or oak, or to dry hop (though many of us dry hop in primary now as well)....and we have found our beer vastly improved by letting the beer stay in contact with the yeast.

There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness in the last few years where many of us believe that yeast is a good thing, and besides just fermenting the beer, that they are fastidious creatures who go back and clean up any by products created by themselves during fermentation, which may lead to off flavors.

Rather than the yeast being the cause of off flavors, it is now looked at by many of us, that they will if left alone actually remove those off flavors, and make for clearer and cleaner tasting beers.

Even John Palmer talks about this in How To Bew;

How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

This is a big, even if I had planned to bulk age it in a primary for a number of months, which this definitely would benefit by, I wouldn't move it for a month. You want to let the yeast do their job and then clean up after themselves.

The classic great Revvy reply!!!
I have been following this advice for 10 batches now, and couldnt agree more!!!

Revvy hit the nail on the head: leave it in there for awhile. I'd check gravity once a week or so, and don't worry about leaving it on the yeast for awhile.

Remember, Belgain brews are supposed to have some yeast character, so assuming your yeast is appropriate, and there's nothing making it spoil (doubtful now that its gone through vigorous fermentation and reached a decent alcohol content), let it sit for awhile. You'll probably gain a few more points of ABV, and tame the sweetness you detected somewhat.

The 9% Tripel I brewed a few years back was in primary for 2 months :)

wow, Revvy, thanks. That was awesome. Yeah, I don't really want to touch it. I'm using the Trappist Wyeast, the high-gravity one, starts with 37XX. I'm not at home in front of my notes. Beersmith says i should get 11.67% ABV on this one, and I'm really pumped because it tastes amazing. Like I said, just worried about clarity, because if I come this close to what I think is perfect, I'd hate clarity to be an issue and then have to alter what I think tastes fantastic.

Like I said, just worried about clarity, because if I come this close to what I think is perfect, I'd hate clarity to be an issue and then have to alter what I think tastes fantastic.

And then why do you think I do it???? Could that be the very reason I do so?;)

Leaving it in primary for a month with allow the yeast to clean up after itself, and it will compress the yeast cake, which will make for extremely clear and crisp tasting beer.

I have had the term "Jewell-like appearance and clarity" applied to some of my beers from BJCP judges in contests. Think a judge would use those words if my beer were cloudy? :)

Back