Cheap compact wort pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no I meant the UK guy told me:

You should not need ptfe tape at all. The seal is made with a soft washer and hand tightening.
Peter

So just put a washer into the NPT OR use teflon. What are you using it for?

Go cougs indeed.

So nobody has found BSP fittings in the US? I know 1/2" NPT will work but "lots of thread tape" and low pressure wasn't exactly what I was going for.

I understand your concerns, but in reality it doesn't effect these pumps. They really don't take that much more tape (maybe an extra turn or two) and go on quite easily. It isn't recommended to interchange bsp and npt in high pressure situations, but this is not one of those. These pumps only do 1.7 gmp and are not capable of such high pressure. The hose or tubing that most people use is going to start leaking before the fitting connections on these do.

mendozer said:
Oh no I meant the UK guy told me:

You should not need ptfe tape at all. The seal is made with a soft washer and hand tightening.
Peter

So just put a washer into the NPT OR use teflon. What are you using it for?

Gotcha, I am going to use 2 together for recirculating my mash tun and whirlpooling.

What sold me was that its true NPS thread and I need to go to copper too. (I'm a fan of plastics too)

I just sweat a 1/2" NPT copper fitting onto my CFC and threaded the cam-groove fitting onto it. I'm now 100% camlock, which is nice. Pressure rated, no shoving/pulling hoses on/off, I love it.

Has anyone found the 1/2" BSP fittings for the beige pumps? I know 1/2" will work but it I would like to do it right if at all possible. All I find on google and all major sales sites is stuff in Europe. I am trying to use 2 pumps together and would like to just find a 1/2" BSP union or coupling or even 2 hose barb fittings, but I get nothing.

I'm using PTFE tape, pumping with only a cracked-open valve (ie. considerable pressure) and zero leaks with NPT fittings on the pump. It's a no brainer. I put maybe 3 rounds of tape on there, maybe. Not a "ton".

This question may be a bit vague and not directly apply to this thread, but how are others clearing you lines after pumping? I feel like I have a fair amount of wort left over in the silicone tubing I am using. Maybe I'm just being too greedy trying to get every last drop out. This is especially an issue after I run it through my garden hose cfc. I have noticed the height of the pump in relation to the cfc has an effect on how well it runs. I have been lifting the pump up and allowing gravity to clear the last bit out, but this is a bit hard to do sometimes with one person, unfortunately I only have two arms and sometimes it needs three to keep everything where they should be. I'm also collecting items and components to make a pump box(not sure yet if it will actually have the pumps in it or outside of it yet). What are other people's experience in height placement of equipment? Right now when I brew outside I typically have my three vessels on a table(I see a sculpture someday in my future) on a single plain. When I brew indoors in my kitchen I gravity hlt into mlt from off the counter-top, then pump into the top of the keggle bk that is on a wheeled stand. Any suggestions or experience will help out a lot with where and how I place these pumps.

This question may be a bit vague and not directly apply to this thread, but how are others clearing you lines after pumping? I feel like I have a fair amount of wort left over in the silicone tubing I am using. Maybe I'm just being too greedy trying to get every last drop out. This is especially an issue after I run it through my garden hose cfc. I have noticed the height of the pump in relation to the cfc has an effect on how well it runs. I have been lifting the pump up and allowing gravity to clear the last bit out, but this is a bit hard to do sometimes with one person, unfortunately I only have two arms and sometimes it needs three to keep everything where they should be. I'm also collecting items and components to make a pump box(not sure yet if it will actually have the pumps in it or outside of it yet). What are other people's experience in height placement of equipment? Right now when I brew outside I typically have my three vessels on a table(I see a sculpture someday in my future) on a single plain. When I brew indoors in my kitchen I gravity hlt into mlt from off the counter-top, then pump into the top of the keggle bk that is on a wheeled stand. Any suggestions or experience will help out a lot with where and how I place these pumps.

I add water to the kettle sometimes and pump some through the line to push wort through, stopping before the water goes in my fermenter. Then I rinse the kettle on my PVC blast-rinser thingy I made, then fill it with some oxyclean water, run that through the pump and lines. Then I rinse the kettle once more to get oxy residue out and put some clean water in it, pump that through, then remove all lines.

Sounds like a lot, but it takes less than 10 minutes to do.

I used mine to pump liquids, from 65°F to 212°F, over a height differential of 3 feet, today. No problems. I love this pump. The stainless QDs and tap cost more than the pump!

I bought the tan pump but cant seem to get it to work!

I went to Goodwill and for 99 cents picked up a power supply. The brick says:
OUTPUT
5Vdc -- 2.5A
12Vdc-- 1.5A
I used my multimeter and identified the yellow wire providing 12 Volts. I attached this to the red wire from the pump, attached black to black (ground) and capped the red 5 volt wire from the power supply. I flipped the switch (on my surge protector) and nothing happens.

What am I missing?

ianw58 said:
Question for any of you using a "wall wart" transformer with the little tan pump: how hot does the transformer get?

I'm thinking of running power in to a plastic closed junction box with a switch mounted on it to run the pump. I'm concerned with heat build up in a closed, water proof box.

I use an old computer monitor power supply for my small tan 12v pump, with and off to fill power speed control. It works great and hardly gets hot at all.

Yea i just went to the local Good Will they have piles of AC/DC supplies.

Found like 6 different 12V ones, all the same price. Ended up taking a old Gamecube power supply for $3, since it was rated up to 3A...well beyond what the pump will ever need and it was the same price as the others.

I bought the tan pump but cant seem to get it to work!

I went to Goodwill and for 99 cents picked up a power supply. The brick says:
OUTPUT
5Vdc -- 2.5A
12Vdc-- 1.5A
I used my multimeter and identified the yellow wire providing 12 Volts. I attached this to the red wire from the pump, attached black to black (ground) and capped the red 5 volt wire from the power supply. I flipped the switch (on my surge protector) and nothing happens.

What am I missing?

Anybody have any ideas?

One of my power supplies doesn't work if the socket is plugged in and run from a switch. I have to disconnect the wires and connect them again for it to fire up. Try that and tell us how it works.

Spellman said:
One of my power supplies doesn't work if the socket is plugged in and run from a switch. I have to disconnect the wires and connect them again for it to fire up. Try that and tell us how it works.

Yea still nothing, I hope both my pumps aren't duds, something tells me the customer service from ebay china won't be great.

Well, my pump stopped sometime during racking through my cfc this Saturday. Luckily my setup was more or less gravity-friendly, so it all racked over, but cleaning everything out was a bit more difficult. I'm going to check the PSU to make sure it's not faulty, and I verified liquid flowed through the pump, so the impeller doesn't seem to be stuck (plus, it's making no audible noise). If it's fried I'll try to get the seller to send a new one but I'm also probably saving for a Chugger.

Well, my pump stopped sometime during racking through my cfc this Saturday. Luckily my setup was more or less gravity-friendly, so it all racked over, but cleaning everything out was a bit more difficult. I'm going to check the PSU to make sure it's not faulty, and I verified liquid flowed through the pump, so the impeller doesn't seem to be stuck (plus, it's making no audible noise). If it's fried I'll try to get the seller to send a new one but I'm also probably saving for a Chugger.

Oh no! I might get my pump this week but I hope it lasts more than just a couple of sessions... The next best thing costs how much?

Oh no! I might get my pump this week but I hope it lasts more than just a couple of sessions... The next best thing costs how much?

The topsflo is about half the flow rate as the Chugger and is about $70 or so, whereas the CHugger can be had for about $127 (recently on Amazon).

I can't recall, has anyone used the last pump on the spreadsheet, the 9.XGPM black chinese ebay pump? It's $48 shipped and supposedly pumps more than the Chuggers. I'm half considering trying this pump, although eventually I'm going to wish I'd just saved for the Chugger, I think...

I can't recall, has anyone used the last pump on the spreadsheet, the 9.XGPM black chinese ebay pump? It's $48 shipped and supposedly pumps more than the Chuggers. I'm half considering trying this pump, although eventually I'm going to wish I'd just saved for the Chugger, I think...

If I got (get?) burned with a cheap pump I'd be very strongly considering a proven pump. If you can wait I recommend saving for the Chugger... Why risk spending less money twice?

If I got (get?) burned with a cheap pump I'd be very strongly considering a proven pump. If you can wait I recommend saving for the Chugger... Why risk spending less money twice?

That's kinda where my head is at right now. I found out that gravity will do the work for me, even through the CFC, so the pump isn't a must, just makes sanitizing via recirc much easier. At this point I'll have to run starsan through the CFC instead. I would like to get down to single tier, though.

I serioulythink that those chinese companies get thier bussines from abroad for less than 25 percent of thier asking price (believe me I know). With my little black pump which has about 7 patches though it and runs like a champ, I have had no problem

Now for the depate ( I put it into a sink high enough to make it over the pump just to see if it was working.............WHT (no i did not die),the pump did not work and did not work several times after that experement,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,untill,,,,,,,I reversed the wiring and forgort that these pumps only run in on direction so if you run the electricity in the wrong way it will not work. simply reverse the connection on the other side and it should work (yes even out of water, but I would not do this for prolonged time as it it will brun out)

love there pumps

Because this thread has inspired so many brewers to try out this little pump, we ought to keep tabs on if/when they stop functioning and some background as to how they were being used. For instance whether a potentiometer or dimmer was metering flow or whether restricting flow via ball valve was employed. Perhaps we can determine how to maximize longevity from these cheap little bastards!

First off, is Tre9er the first to experience failure of a verified working pump?

Because this thread has inspired so many brewers to try out this little pump, we ought to keep tabs on if/when they stop functioning and some background as to how they were being used. For instance whether a potentiometer or dimmer was metering flow or whether restricting flow via ball valve was employed. Perhaps we can determine how to maximize longevity from these cheap little bastards!

First off, is Tre9er the first to experience failure of a verified working pump?

Agreed! So far I've been happy with my little tan pump (TL-B07/S, 12V, 8L) w/ ball valve to control flow.

Robert

I think so, and if I am, that's not a bad success rate I guess. My thinking at this point is that possibly hop matter or something got stuck in the impeller while I was pumping through CFC, with music on and fan running, etc. and these pumps are quiet.

It still seems unlikely though because I recirc'd and had been pumping (getting close to verify pump operation) for 20 minutes at that point, so it's hard to imagine a hard chunk of hop pellet still existed...but at one point it seemed like I couldn't get flow through the pump with gravity, after it stopped, so I back-flushed it, then it would flow (not run, but liquid would flow through it using gravity).

So either it seized on it's own momentarily and burned itself up, or debris clogged the impeller. That's the down-side to low-powered pumps. If you do get something minor in there, it doesn't have the power to bust it up and keep going. These are my thoughts, anyway.

I think so, and if I am, that's not a bad success rate I guess. My thinking at this point is that possibly hop matter or something got stuck in the impeller while I was pumping through CFC, with music on and fan running, etc. and these pumps are quiet.

It still seems unlikely though because I recirc'd and had been pumping (getting close to verify pump operation) for 20 minutes at that point, so it's hard to imagine a hard chunk of hop pellet still existed...but at one point it seemed like I couldn't get flow through the pump with gravity, after it stopped, so I back-flushed it, then it would flow (not run, but liquid would flow through it using gravity).

So either it seized on it's own momentarily and burned itself up, or debris clogged the impeller. That's the down-side to low-powered pumps. If you do get something minor in there, it doesn't have the power to bust it up and keep going. These are my thoughts, anyway.

I don't have a 12Vdc pump, just a 230Vac Iwaki knockoff. But I have notice that when I do take mine appart for a good clean there is grain/hop matter lodged around the impellor magnet. Have you taken the pump apart to see what is stuck in there. Also since they are centrifugal pumps they will still allow fluid to flow through them even with a stuck impellor.

revans- Looks like you have the Solar Pump, how many batches and how are you powering it?

Yep, bought the 8LPM/ 3meter head model. Have completed 2 test runs at temps and 1 full brew-day batch with it so far.
Powering it with the 12V 2.0A power supply from Amazon. Works BUT it comes with a very short cable (45" long) :confused:

Hope this helps,
Robert
GypsyBrew

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a 12Vdc pump, just a 230Vac Iwaki knockoff. But I have notice that when I do take mine appart for a good clean there is grain/hop matter lodged around the impellor magnet. Have you taken the pump apart to see what is stuck in there. Also since they are centrifugal pumps they will still allow fluid to flow through them even with a stuck impellor.

At first no liquid flowed through it in the normal direction. I backflushed and then it would run both directions.

Yep, bought the 8LPM/ 3meter head model. Have completed 2 test runs at temps and 1 full brew-day batch with it so far.
Powering it with the 12V 2.0A power supply from Amazon. Works BUT it comes with a very short cable (45" long) :confused:

Hope this helps,
Robert
GypsyBrew

Thanks for the link I just bought one. I figure with gas money to goodWill it can't get much cheaper

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they run out of the tan model. Is the black China model the same thing?

From what I have seen both are available. The specs are a little different between the two. They are two different pumps but you can get either one from what I have seen.

I decided I was going to rewire my black pump to use with the computer PSU I had laying around. I wanted to add more length to the harness coming out of the pump. I set it on my chair and walked to my tool box to grab some electrical tape and i heard a thud. Turned around and saw my pump sitting on the ground with the camlock fitting not attached anymore. I just went to the brewstore and bought a chugger. I need to brew today and dont have time to waste waiting for a new pump to come in 2 weeks. Anyhow. This little pump worked great for at least 4 brews. If anybody needs the motor, send me a PM and Ill send it to them for shipping.

I snapped the input tube off my little tan pump before I even had chance to brew with it. I put the two pieces back together and then JB welded the outside with a few layers of epoxy over a few days. Still works great.

The break was very clean. The epoxy is no the outside, NOT inside in contact with wort. The unit gets cleaned after use by circulating PBW through for 10 minutes or so hen StarSan for a similar time.

No problems.

I'm at zip code 95648. Would love o gave your black pump if you still want to part with it and gave all the pieces!

FINALLY got to brew with my pump over the weekend after FINALLY building my dual 120v ebiab kettle.
It worked like a champ! No problems with the pump itself, just some minor hiccups in developing a new brew process on a new rig. In fact, at a few points I had the pump running with the my valve closed(valve mounted before the pump) and it didn't seem to hurt anything thankfully!

All in all, I am incredibly happy with it and find it a good cheap alternative to a chugger, at least for my needs...

I received my tan ebay pump yesterday. Small is an understatement. I just can't get over how tiny this thing is. I was also surprised by the material its made out of. I was expecting a regular plastic that is cheap and semi-soft feeling, like most of the goods coming from china, but the material this pump is made out of is very hard, and almost feels ceramic. It feels tough as nails, but maybe a bit brittle (again, the best I can describe is it feels like ceramic). I had doubts about connecting this in line on my ball valve on the kettle, but now I feel a little better about it.

Latest posts

Back