Good "Extra Flavors" for beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinkmybeeryo

Reaction score
Okay this is my very 1st post, and I am still COMPLETELY new to home brewing. I haven't even purchased my equipment yet. I wanted to join a forum and research first.
I have a friend who brews beer and he said he added dandelion into his beer. My question is what kind of things can you add into beer? are you limited to strictly plants? or can you go crazy?

i appreciate any information!
thank you!!!

If you can think of it, chances are somebody on this forum tried putting it in beer.

What you don't like watermelon,carrot, parsnip, pumpernikle ,bourbon barrel, espresso, mango, chipotle, bacon, pale ale?

It seems to me that when the old timers made dandelion wine,they just used the flowers. I think I tried that in my sparkling apple jack once?...

so bacon can actually be used? lol

Isn't everything better with bacon???

There was an episode of DDD that featured a place that had bacon flavored whiskey... I don't recall all of what they did, but I remember something about putting the bacon drippings into the whiskey, letting it blend, then freezing it, so they could get the fat out, then putting a [cooked] slice of bacon into it...

Might try that with something in the future... Maybe once I have a fermentation chamber so that I can chill it down low enough (post fermentation) to leave the fat part behind, and bottle it up... Put a small piece of cooked bacon in each bottle for an extra layer of flavor....

mmmmmm bacon....

I don't think any sort of meat product should be used.
Anything that will go rancid will not only smell bad, but probably make you sick too.

The way I see it, if I wouldn't put it in my compost bin, I wouldn't put it in my beer....

Shoot,let's just throw in a pastrami on rye & get it over with. lolz. Or some hot capicola. But,hey,I just had a thought...How about not just bacon,but cocoa & spices? Like beer with a mole' sort of flavor on top of the bacon flavor? Hmmmm....?

If someone doesn't try it, we'll never know if it's any good or not... :ban:

BTW, using smoked bacon would be the way to go... I wouldn't use bacon that's only cured... Besides, smoked bacon has more flavor to it...

I do like the sound of the linked to Oatmeal, Coffee, Chocolate, Bacon Stout... Already got it into Beer Smith and am playing around with the grain bill a bit... Going with more roasted barley, changing the caramel malt, etc... :D

I'm a huge beer lover, but not one for "flavors" in my beer. No coriander for me, thanks.

But if you love something, you can definitely use it. A couple of points- oily things don't go well in beer. Like nuts- they get an "oily sheen" floating on top of the beer. Peanut butter is the same way. But you can buy powdered peanut butter. Coccoa nibs work, but hershey bars do not.

Some spices are good in some beers- pumpkin beers for example. Some beers have a "black pepper" flavor to them that is nice, although that usually comes from the yeast strain and not real black pepper. Hot peppers (chiles, jalapenos) can be used for adding some heat.

Going crazy is ok, if you have a very large budget and don't mind expensive mistakes. I had a friend who through all kinds of **** in her beer- candi sugar, molasses, spices, and she loved her beers. I thought they were weird and sucked. But if YOU like your beer, that's all that matters.

But if YOU like your beer, that's all that matters.

I think that sums it up right there...

Personally, I'm working with more traditional ingredients to get great tasting beer... I will add other flavors into batches of mead though... Things that I think will go well in the base product.

For beers, I'm sticking with grains and just a few other elements. Vanilla beans for one, or oak (a rather traditional element). Honey and honey malt are a couple more elements. Still, nothing insane, or to make people ask what the F is in it... :D

I would advise using small amounts of any extra flavor element you plan to introduce. It's far easier to add a bit more, slowly, than to age it out if you use too much from the start. A lesson I also learned when I used a bit too much bourbon in a brew... Soaked a vanilla bean in 2oz, then used another ~4oz to rinse the jar it was in... Even in a 5 gallon batch, you can really taste it. Much more than I had desired. Will have to see how it ages...

If someone doesn't try it, we'll never know if it's any good or not... :ban:

BTW, using smoked bacon would be the way to go... I wouldn't use bacon that's only cured... Besides, smoked bacon has more flavor to it...

I do like the sound of the linked to Oatmeal, Coffee, Chocolate, Bacon Stout... Already got it into Beer Smith and am playing around with the grain bill a bit... Going with more roasted barley, changing the caramel malt, etc... :D

Maybe put that smoked bacon in the ol' bbq pit with some hard wood on the coals? Mo' smoke,mo' betta! Add some chocolate malts,cocoa nibs,Maybe whole cracked bbq rub style spices?

Maybe put that smoked bacon in the ol' bbq pit with some hard wood on the coals? Mo' smoke,mo' betta! Add some chocolate malts,cocoa nibs,Maybe whole cracked bbq rub style spices?

Now you're just being nuts... Or did you want to 'tea bag' your brew too? Dry hump style? :eek:

Nah,it's not something I would do. I was just rollin with it for ****s-n-giggles. I want my beers to harmonize with my food. I don't want my food in my beer,& just hork it down. :drunk:
But I will try cracked coriander,honey, orange,lime zests in a wheat beer. Along with blueberries maybe. Otherwise,I'm a bit more of a traditionalist that looks forward a little.

Hahahehehoho,to the brew house! Where life is beautiful all the time! And I'll be happy when I get nutty & they're coming to take me away hahaaaaaa....!!

My mom is from Germany, a while ago I told her people put fruit in beer.
She gave me a look of disgust and and responded, " Then it's not beer "

Back