Using multiple types of yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
Just wondering has anyone tried combining both a top fermenting and bottom fermenting yeast in one brew? Can this even be done and if so what would the finished product come out like?

I do it all the time when making 10 gallon batches. I usually split a batch into 2 carboys and add the different yeasts then. I always ferment seperately so i can taste before i mix in secondary or when i keg. Most of the time i wait until i keg to see if the flavors will blend right.The ones that i think blend together best are 1056(american ale) with 2124(california lager) wyeast when I'm making a pale ale. So what were you thinking about blending???

I was wondering about this too... I was thinking EC-118 for top fermenting, and Dutch lager wyeast... in an australian lager because i want the champagne like taste in the lager because i have tasted an australian lager with a champagne like note to it... Does anybody have any thoughts?... If i cant i was thinking of just useing the EC-118 but i dont think you can lager with it because i dont think it works so well at temps below 55F... Does anyone have anything to say about useing the dutch lager yeast alone would give the desiered flavor?

Back