green tea + molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackHerrer

Reaction score
so I'm thinking of brewing this. I have a bunch of newb questions, I thought I'd just ask them all here before I forget them. Yes, I know there is such a thing as "search", thank you very much!

Obviously I'll boil the water to make the tea. I picked green tea because you can brew it at higher temps. + allow it to steep 4 longer. It's why it's the only tea I'll buy at Starbucks, as well. Anyway ... :tank:
That takes care of sterilization, ... I'm using regular tap water. Should I buy distilled water? it's like $1/gal so I guess why not, huh?

Then I wanted to pick up a 5-gallon bucket and put an airlock on it. I don't need to stir or aerate it at all, right?

It's kind of rude to imply that your question would be answered with a "search you noob" reply since that doesn't really happen around here. :)

I think molasses might overwhelm the delicate flavor of the green tea but it would certainly work since it's a sugar.

I would use bottled spring water, not distilled. Distilled doesn't have any minerals in it to make your fermentation happy.

Don't forget that you will need to sanitize your bucket and airlock or all your work could be ruined.

I'm thinking of picking up a homer paint bucket plus a lid and fitting a #2 airlock onto that. Any problems with that? What would you use to cleanse it?
Blackstrap molasses is a favorite amongst organic gardeners, it only seems natural that it would work in a carboy. Do they make an airstop that will fit a one-gallon milk jug?
Again ... sorry for the newb questions. Apparently all of you are a lot nicer than 99% of the people I've met on the Internet(s).

Homer buckets work fine. Also, check with the bakery at your local grocery store since they often have 5 gallon food safe buckets for free.

I clean with unscented Oxyclean and sanitize with Star San (no rinse sanitizer) but there are other options available. Bleach works very well if you have no other options but you have to rinse like crazy.

They do make bungs that fit one gallon glass jugs (like Gallo wine jugs) so it would probably work on a milk jug too but I'm not sure of the size. If you are buying from a local home brew store, they can probably advise you on the size for a milk jug.

Generally we are a pretty nice crowd around here. ;)

Back