does lactobascillus need lactose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinga

Reaction score
I'm harvesting some lacto from yogurt(I'll do a pictorial after I've confirmed that it works) and plan to innoculate some extra second runnings from a recent hefe I brewed.

I plan to innoculate about a quarter of the batch with the lacto and let the lacto have its party for a coupe days before adding this quarter to the full batch where I will pitch the yeast I plan to use. Would it be a good idea to add some lactose or will the lacto. be fine without it?

Lactobacillus should be fine eating the sugars in beer, no lactose required. It is very sensitive to alcohol and bitterness, though. It won't do well if the wort is over 8 IBUs. That's why Berliner weisse is very low gravity and very lightly hopped.

The runnings I saved haven't been boiled or fermented at all quite yet. So the plan is to pitch the lacto into some of these runnings then boil with hops the other three quarters of the batch and mix together wait a couple days then add the yeast.

Why are you going to wait a couple days before you add the yeast? If you pitch the lacto before the boil, you'll kill all the lacto.

you are correct and I do not mean to do that. However i reread my post and i can understand why you would think that's what I wanted to do. I haven't boiled any of the batch yet. I plan to boil three quarters of the batch with hops. the other quarter will just be innoculated with the lacto then I will mix these two batches together and then pitch the yeast.

Back