Planning a Brewery tour in OR and N. Cal...suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyWrench

Reaction score
Were're looking at the week of Thanksgiving starting in Portland, head to the coast, back in to Corvallis, Eugene, then, if the weather holds up, make our way to N.Cal where we will spend a whole day. We will hit Bend on the way back (again, depending on weather), then up through Hood River, cross into WA at Stevenson, back through Vancouver, Wa and finally home.

There are so many breweries, and brewpubs along the way, it's just impossible for us to hit them all. There are some on our list that we will hitting for sure, but I'm looking for suggestions for "Must Visit" breweries.

My wife and I are real Hop-heads, so some places with good IPAs, Pales and hoppy reds are really what we are looking for.

Thanks!!!
Steve

Portland: Widmer Bros Gasthaus, Hopworks Urban Brewery, Bridgeport Brewery,The Green Dragon 928 SE 9th Ave. Portland, OR 97214, Rogue Ales(Portland tasting room), Deschutes Public House McMenamins I would check out the Bagdad theater that place is rad, Amnesia Brewing, Alameda Brewhouse

Eugene: Ninkasi Brewing

Astoria(Oregon Coast): Astoria Brewing Company There Bitter ***** IPA is crazy hoppy.

Hood River: Full Sail Brewery, Double Mountain Brewery

These are a few that I know are good and have good IPA's on site! PDX is my ****! I love that city. I hope this helps map out your route of beervana. Are you hitting up Chico CA?

We are going as far south as SF because the main reason for us to even go to CA is Russian River....however, once mapped, that's 8hrs from Eugene and then 8hrs back to Bend, so hard to justify 16hrs of vacation when we could just do a weekend in N. Cal via airplane and rental car.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll add them to the map!

Lagunitas is just a little south of Russian River - that's a good take. I visited N. Cal this past June and hit both of those places while touring Sonoma wineries. Nothing like a fresh Pliny!

Do you have an android phone? There is a Portland brewpub mapping app that is pretty nice.

I was drinking at Max's Fanno Creek Brew Pub in Tigard on Saturday and they had great beer and an awesome happy hour.

I would make a swing out to Full Sail if the weather is nice, dress in a sweater and sit outside and watch the river... they have 4 or 5 that are taproom only.

Widmer has quite a few beers that are brew house only as well, if you like their beer the brewpub has a nice sausage, pretzel, and cheese appetizer.

Barleywine? go to Bridgeport and drink some Old Knucklehead, my fav barleywine in the area, and they have great pizza (puts you close to the taprooms for Rogue and Deschutes if you like those, both have a ton of taproom only beers)

Roots Brewery (I champion this place) make a great line of organic brews, highlights are their hotsteppa habanero beer and their lavender ale (seasonal both, not sure what is on tap). As a bonus it is across the street from my favorite local distillery, and if you can get a tour there you will LOVE it... cask strength tastings etc, HouseSpirits is the place (btw, Clear Creek Distillery only tours on Thanksgiving weekend and Easter weekend, so hit them up if you are having fun with vodka and gin).

Hit the Green Dragon (google this place and read up on what they do here, a must support place for home brewers), and while you are in the area you can visit the distillery next door, Integrity Spirits/Sub Rosa, they make a nice cucumber gin and an excellent absinthe.

If the SWMBO likes people watching, I second on the Amnesia brewing, the shopping area there is hipster/cute and there's a lot of people walking about on nice days, good covered seating outdoors, and walking distance to Widmer.

Actually, in that area, hit the White Eagle and drink the McMinnemans line (including their hard liquor) their Ruby Red is a fav of my wife, and the Terminator is a Portland classic

Are you dog people? Go to Lucky Lab, especially if you have a dog cruising along with you. they do a cool program where you can take your home grown hops to them, and they mix em all together and make a beer with them, sort of unique and fun.

Got kids? Go to Laurelwood Public House, they have a play room and toys for the tots to keep busy with while you drink.

New Old Lompoc has a great selection, they pour the full line at Oaks Bottom Brew Pub in Sellwood which keeps you away from NW 23rd (terribly unsafe street to take the SWMBO to if she is a shopaholic). TOTCHOS!

Theres a lot in Portland, I could go on for a while... it sort of depends on what you all find fun.

On the way South, you can visit the semi-chain (there are 17 of them in the PNW, but you may have been there up in Washington) Ram Brewery in Salem (best example of banana esters in a hef I have ever had, if you like that flavor), and their Buttface Amber Ale and Bighorn Blonde pint glasses look nice on the shelf.

Next up would be Calapooia in Albany, they have a really nice fish and chips if you are still hungry at this point, dont miss their rIPArian ipa, their SantiAmber, or their Chili Beer, and you can easily get a brewery tour.

Beyond that just blow through to Eugene and hit Ninkasi as mentioned above.

Standing Stone is excellent in Ashland, and while you are there go to the Black Sheep Tavern and get their Shepherd's Pie... great English style pub.

The MOST IMPORTANT things to visit in Portland are Belmont Station on about 45th and Stark and John's Marketplace in Multnomah Village (if you only have time for one go to Johns) Belmont Station has a great selection of Belgians and you can pay a corkage fee and drink right on premises (they also have beer on tap that you can drink out of a boot, that is fun for Christmas Photos) and John's has over 1000 beers to choose from, it is the only place that I can always find Dogfish Head Fort when I want to bend an out of town visitor :)

Have fun, depending on when you are in town I would be happy to meet up with you somewhere and drink a pint.

P.S. As a CSU Chico boy, I must remind you of the importance of stopping in at Sierra Nevada for their never bottled brews!

Prost!

Sorry, I probably said too much to be helpful!

Wow awesome. Thanks!!!

I will look for that app. Cool.

Going to 86 Northern Cal. Just too much driving for a couple days. We will probably take a long weekend in SF area sometime in the near future.

Looks like we will be spending Wed and Thurs in Portland. Most of the McMenemins have a Thanksgiving stay and eat thing, so we will probably be doing that Thurs night. Not sure what we are going to find open on Thursday. We will have to call around and plan ahead. Then heading south on Friday...not sure about hitting Newport or not. We are hoping the weather cooperates so we can hit Bend from Eugene.

Thanks,
Steve

Back