I'm falling apart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageSteve

Reaction score
It sucks getting old. I recently turned 40, and I got rewarded today with a bout of unexplained lower back pain-- the second worst I've ever had (the first not too long ago).

I want some factory reconditioning. :mad:

-Steve

I hear you there. Im almost 40 and have screwed up quite a few discs in my back and can barely tie my shoes or put on socks in the morning. By the end of the day Im a little more limber but the pain sucks and I have to lift heavy stuff all day and really dont have a choice unless I want to find another job that doesnt pay nearly enough to pay my mortgage!

Sorry. That's about when my back problems began in earnest - much better now. My advice is to be careful with it - I let it go way to long, thought i could just deal with it.

Want irrefutable evidence against "Intelligent Design"? No one remotely intelligent designed my back . . .

I'm 45 and this has been my year of steady decline.

I was cleaning up in the house earlier this year and I bent down to pick up a stray piece of lint. Yes, a whole piece of lint. I guess I didn't bend properly for the load and I actually felt something slip in my back. I actually blacked out a little, the pain was so excrutiating. It took me 15 minutes to move 10 feet to my bed and fall over into it. I couldn't move until my wife came home and started stetching me out.

Take heart Steve, you have 5 more years until it starts getting really bad. ;)

Hell, I have you all beat. I had back surgery at the ripe old age of 36. Still have some problems, but it was the best thing I ever did. Not being able to move for 8 months might have had something to do with that outlook.

I actually blacked out a little, the pain was so excrutiating. It took me 15 minutes to move 10 feet to my bed and fall over into it. I couldn't move until my wife came home and started stetching me out.

Take heart Steve, you have 5 more years until it starts getting really bad. ;)

Wow. Mine suddenly doesn't seem so bad...

-Steve

I'm 45 and this has been my year of steady decline.

I was cleaning up in the house earlier this year and I bent down to pick up a stray piece of lint. Yes, a whole piece of lint. I guess I didn't bend properly for the load and I actually felt something slip in my back. I

Honest to god, I sneezed. That was it.

LMAO. I forgot to mention that. My wife laughs at me because I am actually afraid to sneeze now. Seems like I pull a muscle somewhere whenever I do.

My hip has been hurting, and I blame the way I sit with my other leg crossed under that leg while I'm sitting at the computer. Plus my posture at the comptuer.

I'm trying to keep it stretched out and try not to sit that way, but it's a terrible habit.

Anyway, I hope that with constant variation in position while at the computer, and with more exercise, I'll get over it. I sure don't want hip surgery already! (40).

Getting old ain’t for pussies. 47

Bulging disks here. I need to take extreme care, keep myself fit – especially the core, stretch often and maintain proper posture. It’s helped but occasionally they’ll flare up.

What I really hate is my reliance on reading glasses. I should have listen when they told me it would make me go blind.

I know what you mean...I'm 44 and since I hit the big 40 my body is just one big mess.My back, my knees. I have to get up 50,000 times a night to pee. I ache as Leonard Cohen once said "in the places I used to play." Heck, I can't climb 5 flights of stairs comfortably any more, heck I think twice about climbing any flights of stairs.

I have joined a gym and that seems to help a bit....especially with the back, and the stamina, but I'm also screwed my calf muscle up doing that, so I had to take a step back for a few weeks, and it's makig startign up again difficult.

And don't even get me talking about a non existant love life....I look at all those hot women, and realize I am more than likely the age of their father's these day...

Yeah...it sux. But we still have our beer. :D

DAYMN!!! A bunch of old ass men in here! (I knew I loved you all for a reason!)
Im not too far behind at 35, but I know the feeling of **** falling apart. Fortunately, I dont have back problems, but every other joint (knees, elbows, wrists etc) are creaking/cracking and hurting when they want. Add to that that I have an anxiety disorder of sorts that gets worse when I am not medicated. (But still exists, and still ****ing SUCKS!)

But thank you to Revvy who always seems to put in in perspective -
Yeah...it sux. But we still have our beer. :D
-Me

DAYMN!!! A bunch of old ass men in here! (I knew I loved you all for a reason!)
Im not too far behind at 35, but I know the feeling of **** falling apart. Fortunately, I dont have back problems, but every other joint (knees, elbows, wrists etc) are creaking/cracking and hurting when they want. Add to that that I have an anxiety disorder of sorts that gets worse when I am not medicated. (But still exists, and still ****ing SUCKS!)

But thank you to Revvy who always seems to put in in perspective -
-Me

Yeah except, if we drink too much too late in the evening, we will have to get up more times to pee....So we STILL lose to win....:D

I started getting bursitis in both my knees at the ripe old age of 19! Now that I'm 38 I already feel like I'm about 50.

If it wasn’t time for my nap, I’d have a few choice words for you.

Oh no, when Mike wakes up there's gonna be a fogey fight.

Maybe even with some fogey fu!

Fogey-fu_Logo.png

Well I am 50 and all you guys sound 20 years older than me. I run, play golf without a cart hike/camp and ride.hardest thing though is keeping up with my 15 month old grandson who is now living with me. Sure I have some aches and pains but damn .... last weekend I split 2 cords of wood by hand winters coming :D

guess its the genes. My dad at 78 still walks 3 miles a day and is very active same with my mom.

Okay, I'm 51 and Springer SUCKS :D

Not in too bad shape, walk with golf half the time, ride the other half.

Comedian Greg Behrendt did a bit about his dad complaining of a stiff back/neck because he "slept wrong" and how could you f*** that up? Now that he's hit 40, he owes an apology to his dad.

I am right there. I sleep wrong a lot. Oh, and helping my brother roof his house was a huge mistake. I'll never do that again.

Both my father and brother had back surgery in their 30's. I've managed to avoid it, mainly by keeping my weight down. Spread 6 tons of dirt last week and only have a sore arm. I've got about 3 cords of wood in the shed and plan on cutting another 3. I'm not fast, but I endure.

I feel fortunate that at 36 I don't have many aches and pains except the occasional achy knees. However I don't do much physical work and lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle most of the time which is probably why I don't run the risk of getting injured.

The first time I split wood or try to mow the lawn I'll probably pay the price.

Kind of off-topic, but as much as some people complain about outdoor chores, I really miss being able to do my own yardwork, split wood, rake leaves, etc....

Im only 38 but broke my back when I was 18. When I do a lot of work and my back gets tired I have back pain but other than that I do pretty well. I am thankful for everyday that I don't have pain I know it has to be coming sometime soon.

Ok you fogies made me do it:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPx8FKjEwv8]YouTube - red green shorts[/ame]

BTW, nearly 36 and sciatic issues for ~10yrs. Go figure.

Enjoy

Remember, we're all pulling for you!

I hear ya on the back pains. Mine goes out easy & I actually couldn't brew for a month this summer.

My solution: Move as little as possible.;)

You don't have to be old to be broken. I'm only 28 and I'm in pain 24/7. ****ed up my back well over a year ago and doctors are reluctant to do anything about it, unless they want to make it worse.

Well I'm slightly better today. I was able to get my muscles to relax last night so I did some stretching which felt great.

This morning, still pain, but somewhat diminished. My chair at work is great because I can lean back in it at a pretty good angle to reduce vertical pressure.

I hate it when my sister teases me that things are going to start to fall apart now that I'm 40 (she's 47)... but damn if she's right. I won't tell her that, though. :D

-Steve

worse thing to do is become sedentary . I redid my patio this spring 1900 pavers 6 ton item 4 and 9 tons of landscape rock and a few hundred wall block.All moved by hand from the driveway as the septic is in my side yard and no way can a truck drive over it

Also built the gazebo and fireplace this spring

not the greatest pics but what I have on hand . Just noticed I left a set of roof jacks on the roof I did the roof last fall

patio.JPG

patio1.JPG

patio2.JPG

patio4.JPG

Brewing is the absolute worst thing for my back, especially when I'm doing large batches and carrying heavy bins of grain. But it's not like I'm ever going to stop.

I need an exoskeleton. The technology is here...I just don't have QUITE enough money.

40 is old? who knew?

As mentioned, they key is to keep moving. Find a physical therapist (finding a good one can be hard, looking for a sports one is ideal). If you're over weight, drop the extra pounds.

with that said, everyone is different. I had back surgery a few years back. I still have lots of pain and some days I can't do to much, but I refuse to lay down and die.

I just turned 39 and I feel far from old.
this pic was taken a few months ago.
wallridePat.jpg

Brewing is the absolute worst thing for my back, especially when I'm doing large batches and carrying heavy bins of grain. But it's not like I'm ever going to stop.

I need an exoskeleton. The technology is here...I just don't have QUITE enough money.

No, what you need is an elevated grain dispensing system! just hit a button and the grain falls from above your head into the pot. Done!

Went to schedule an appointmentnext week with my general praticioner and they got me in this morning.

3 x-rays on my lower back for persistent pain, an EKG on my heart for some pressure/tension under my chest bone, and a full battery of blood work. The lab tech even commented that in the 6 years she's worked for him she's never seen him write up so many tests. She took so much blood you'd have thought she worked for OBI (Blood Institute).

Family has a long history of heart related issues on my dad's side so, I am not fu.ck.ing around with this shyt. Grandpa died when dad was 12. Fell flat of a heart attack and never breathed life again. Dad has had 2 bypasses and 3 stints.

I ain't going out like that without a fight!

I think most of my problems are because my wife makes me do all the work in bed. Mind you that is not a complaint, just an observation.

try to get a second opinion and that problem will suddenly seem miniscule, to you at least. She may already feel that way. ;)

This just in: Aleve doesn't work for ****!!!

Nope. Neither does the prescription stuff. Not on my back. Not on my feet.

Doc just gave me s'thing new to try. It's a patch with anti-inflammatory drigs built in. Says since it bypasses the stomach it worlks better and is more local.

Can't hurt any worse I figure.

Latest posts

Back