12 Beers of Christmas 2012!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Piratwolf said:
@usfmikeb--did it fade?

I have two questions for those involved or with past experience. I made 10gal of the base Tripel wort, split it into two 5gal batches. I fermented one with WLP530, the other with Wy3711. Both finished at 1.012. However, the half with 530 is MUCH more Tripel-like. Soooooooooooo...
1) should I only send out the 530 batch? Or would you like to try the very orange citrus 3711 version as well (2 bottles to 1)?
2) I want to try using Brett Bruxellensis--should I add that to the 3711 batch, and would anyone like to try it?

Cheers!

My vote-

I'm doing two gingerbread porters and intend to send both. I'd love to try both triples. Now, where I expect to be the minority, I've never been a Brett fan so I vote no. But you will end up with 35% of the beer, so I say do what would make you happiest.

We did have some split send outs last year, and it was fine...I say just put your best foot forward, and send what you think is the best beer...if all of the versions are worthy, send one of each! The only downside to sending different batches is that if you plan on aging some for next year (as most of us did last year), you may not end up aging the same thing you tried this year...not that big of a deal, but it is what it is...

So I did a little experiment with a juniper branch. I boiled about an 8 inch long piece (with a pencil sized branch) in 1 gallon of water for 15 minutes. The aroma of the boil was very leafy and vegetable like. Not at all what I was expecting. After letting the water cool to room temp I took a few sips. Still very leafy like with a very faint pine background. It wasnt very appetizing to me, I was expecting more earthy,barky, pineyness....maybe if I used a bigger branch with less leaves? Another possible factor is that im dealing with juniper grown in Georgia red clay and not in soil near the fjords of Finland. Anyway, the moral of the story is I'm going to pass on using a juniper branch tea for the liquor and will just use berries as dictated in the recipe. I still may use a few branches for lautering purposes since the grain bill will have 2.5lbs of rye in it. Brewday for the juniper rye bock is set for July 5th, I need to locate a santa hat from the attic.

So I did a little experiment with a juniper branch. I boiled about an 8 inch long piece (with a pencil sized branch) in 1 gallon of water for 15 minutes. The aroma of the boil was very leafy and vegetable like. Not at all what I was expecting. After letting the water cool to room temp I took a few sips. Still very leafy like with a very faint pine background. It wasnt very appetizing to me, I was expecting more earthy,barky, pineyness....maybe if I used a bigger branch with less leaves? Another possible factor is that im dealing with juniper grown in Georgia red clay and not in soil near the fjords of Finland. Anyway, the moral of the story is I'm going to pass on using a juniper branch tea for the liquor and will just use berries as dictated in the recipe. I still may use a few branches for lautering purposes since the grain bill will have 2.5lbs of rye in it. Brewday for the juniper rye bock is set for July 5th, I need to locate a santa hat from the attic.

hey check out this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/sa...-1st-place-cat-23-2nd-place-best-show-321633/

he got best of show in a local competition this years, and only aged it a couple months

I wonder if the boiling was the issue. My understanding it that they just lauter through the branches, and you may get a very different profile with the lower temps. Perhaps you should try steeping a branch at mash out/sparge temps and see what that tastes like?

As an aside, I'm having difficulty visualizing you brewing in a Santa hat in the southern heat! Perhaps if you soak the Santa hat in ice water! :cool:

My vote-

I'm doing two gingerbread porters and intend to send both. I'd love to try both triples. Now, where I expect to be the minority, I've never been a Brett fan so I vote no. But you will end up with 35% of the beer, so I say do what would make you happiest.

one of my all time favorite beers was a brett finished tripel i made... took at least 6 months in the bottle to really develop, but it was worth every day waiting. i'm down to two bombers and will only break them out when my belgian beer buddy stops by.

Update on Saffron Tripel--racked the main batch (wlp530) to condition in a corny with 1oz of bitter orange peel and the saffron threads. The batch w/3711 tasted quite citrusy as is so I bottled that today for long-term bottle conditioning. As for my Brett experiment, I racked the BGS off it's Sacc yeast and pitched Brett Brux.

At this point, my plan is to let each recipient choose his poison: 3 bottles of the main batch, 2 of the main + 1 of the 3711 batch, or 1 each of the main, 3711, and Brett BGS. Cool?

I got all the stuff to make the juniper rye bock on 7-5. I bought two packs of Wyeast 2042. To my dismay, I noticed the born on date is 29Nov2011. Not real happy about that, but I plan to make a big starter with the new stir plate I got. I think it'll be ok

Oh man, I just read this post through and through and I am so jealous that I am not in on it... I would have loved to try my hand at the juniper rye bock. Sounds like you guys have a good mix up going for an awesome project. Good luck to y'all, and hit me up if theres a chance of a second group, or a drop out.

6hrs after smacking the packs they look/feel like they are about to burst. I feel much better now, thank you Wyeast for the visual reassurance.

Day late and a dollar short. This sounds like fun. I'll watch this thread after Turkey Day. It will be fun mailing and receiving all those boxes of beer for Christmas. I make a spruce altbier for Xmas. Cinnemmemnnn in it and touch of nutmeg. Its not on the list, but its very holiday.

Just finished brewing the juniper rye bock! Everything went well, I hit all my numbers. Things seemed to take forever though, probably because its a miserable 98 degrees outside. I want to make sure this fully attenuates, so I mashed a little low for a bock at 152. The juniper berries have an aroma and flavor of a freshly cut tree. My rough schedule is going to be a 2 month primary at 52 and then lager for 3 months at 37ish, force carb, and have these ready to ship the weekend after Thanksgiving. Here are a few pictures!! :mug:

P1030402.jpg

P1030406.jpg

P1030408.jpg

I saw this thread last year and initiated something in the club I'm in. We had 5 members participate. Was pretty fun and we'll probably do it again this year.

Dry hopped my test batch of English IPA today. 1.5 oz of EKG stewing for 10 days. The hydrometer samples are tasty!

By the way, what are we shooting for as a ship date?

I popped one of the 3711 Tripels today, way too early but I couldn't help it. Man, is this looking like it will be a wonderful beer! Just a touch of higher alcohols that should smooth out by Thanksgiving; otherwise, a light effervescent beer with ctrus esters and light peppery phenolics... until the 9.5% hammer comes down :) You never even see it coming :) /drunk

This has been asked before, but for anyone that did it last year can you let those of us knew to this know how you shipped it? UPS/FedEx obviously but did you buy the boxes from them too and if not where did you get yours. Im trying to plan this all out so that I can start piecing things together and can just go drop them off on a day to ship with no issues. Speaking of which, Bio I think we need to get an email or something going so everyone can get each others addresses needed for this.

Draygon said:
This has been asked before, but for anyone that did it last year can you let those of us knew to this know how you shipped it? UPS/FedEx obviously but did you buy the boxes from them too and if not where did you get yours. Im trying to plan this all out so that I can start piecing things together and can just go drop them off on a day to ship with no issues. Speaking of which, Bio I think we need to get an email or something going so everyone can get each others addresses needed for this.

I've always gone through USPS. I also have a closet full of boxes and shipping material that I will reuse, which I know doesnt help to answer your question.

Like sfrisby, I keep a collection of smallish boxes throughout the year that I use for shipping. I purchased a large roll of small-bubble bubble wrap from WalMart (it was like 10 or 15 bucks). I use 2 sheets per bottle then double ziploc bag them. I bought the gallon ziplocs at Sam's. (I have enough left of both packing supplies to ship this year too. Finally, I pack the rest of the space on the box with shredded paper...free, essentially, if you own a shredder, and have two kids who love to shred your junk mail for you..
Last year I had to buy 3 boxes, but this year I'm pretty sure I'll be good with recycled ones...

If everyone can PM me their preferred mailing address, I will create a master list and PM it back out to the group when it's time. Remember, if you do have the ability to receive packages at a business address, it will be less expensive to ship there.

What size boxes work best? I was already going to wrap in bubble wrap, the ziplock bags is a good idea that ill do as well. Just need to figure out what box to use.

Draygon said:
What size boxes work best? I was already going to wrap in bubble wrap, the ziplock bags is a good idea that ill do as well. Just need to figure out what box to use.

I can get you some measurements...give me a few days and I can measure some of the boxes I have...

I'm on my mobile now so its tough to post links but there a more than a few threads (and a sticky, as I recall) on shipping homebrew...I may also just take some photos of my own process and post them here eventually ...

Update on Saffron Tripel--racked the main batch (wlp530) to condition in a corny with 1oz of bitter orange peel and the saffron threads. The batch w/3711 tasted quite citrusy as is so I bottled that today for long-term bottle conditioning. As for my Brett experiment, I racked the BGS off it's Sacc yeast and pitched Brett Brux.

At this point, my plan is to let each recipient choose his poison: 3 bottles of the main batch, 2 of the main + 1 of the 3711 batch, or 1 each of the main, 3711, and Brett BGS. Cool?

I'll take 1 of each. :)

I've had a tough time finding the time to brew the last several weeks, and I had been planning on having my Crabapple Lambicky Ale in primary by now. Sadly, I'm a little behind schedule. FEAR NOT! I'm brewing it up on Tuesday night with a buddy coming over to help. Here's the recipe that I'm going to be using, just in case anyone is interested:

9# 4.1 oz. 2 row
2# 8 oz. White wheat malt
1# Caracrystal wheat
1# 2.2 oz. Vienna
4 oz. clear candi sugar

Mash at 148 for 75 minutes

Hops
1.3 oz. Saaz @ 60
1.3 oz. Saaz @ 30

Yeast - Wyeast 1214 - 1L starter
Primary at 68-72 for ~3 weeks

Transfer to secondary
Add 4 lbs. fresh frozen cranberries
1 package of Wyeast 3112 Brett Brux
6 weeks in secondary then bottle

This should give it enough time in the bottle to relax while still getting a full fermentation and development of the flavors. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Definitely excited to brew this one!

Back