Didnt dissovle sugar in water before pouring into beer....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
For bottling...its a light beer, so not major. But still pisses me off that i forgot. What am I going to be looking at? Inconsistent carbonation? Thanks.

You'd have had to stir it quite a bit to dissolve it. If you didn't the bottles will likely be carbed inconsistently.

so long as you stirred gently, the sugar should disperse in solution. you also boil the sugar in water to sanitize it. But, I don't think the sugar will really cause an infection. Check em in a few weeks and see, but probably OK.

Negligible infection risk - pure sugar is inhospitible to most bugs, which is why you can leave it on your counter for moths on end and use it with no harm.

However, you will almost certainly have inconsistent carbonation. It's really tough to mix dry sugar in evenly unless you strip the crap out of it... which causes its own issues.

Personally, I'd be quite concerned about bottle bombs. Get em in boxes and stuck out of the way.

Rick

One time I forgot the priming sugar after I already bottled a beer so I just dumped that one down back in (everything was santized so I know I was good) and then added liquid sugar and just ever so gently stirred it. I didn't wind up with too much extra trub but wound up a bottle short because of concerns over trub.

At what point would I be out of the woods for bottle bombs? Or would I?

Well,if they make it through warm carbing/conditioning, Then put'em in the fridge for 2 weeks. That should get enough co2 into solution so the co2 in the head space doesn't create nucleation points to foam all over like a gyser,to say the least.

Back