Too late to add my own twist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpreston

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to this forum, but I thought it'd be a good place to ask questions...

I'm ready to decant some pino grigio I've made from juice from the 6gal carboy. Fermentation is complete... I'm planning on racking into another carboy to let it hang out for a while before bottling.

Is it too late for me to add my own twist to this wine? (I was thinking of adding something to compliment the flavor, is that even possible?)

Exactly, I was thinking something along the lines of adding the zest of a meyer lemon (zest only to not impart any of the sourness of the juice or bitterness of the pith) but didn't know if it was too late to be adding to the mix at this point. If I did that would the zest of one lemon be enough/too much for batch which started as 6gal of juice?

... or a piece of a rind of a honeydew melon?

Well, I'm not a fan of fruit in good wine. But if you are, why not? I wouldn't do a rind, though- that sounds bitter and not fruity (unlike lemon zest).

I guess I"d take a sample of the wine and see what it's lacking before mucking about with it to much. See if anything you add is an improvement before possibly ruining the whole batch.

Back