First Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgrayson726

Reaction score
I brewed a witbier in december. I was worried about it because it had this very strong alcoholic aroma to it. I posted about it and people told me to bottle it/secondary ferment it and let it age. I have been trying one a week for the last 3 weeks. Right now, it is amazing. I am my own worst critic and I think this is one of the best witbiers I have had. The ONLY problem I have with it is that it is a little too dark, 5 SMUs I believe. I save every recipe that I have ever made so it won't be a problem in the future, but wow I love it. I'll post pictures soon. If anyone wants the recipe, let me know!

Is it an extract recipe? And if so, did you use liquid extract? Every single liquid extract beer I've ever made has come out darker than I intended, no matter what methods I use to make it (e.g. even using a late addition at the end of the boil).

I just made an all-grain witbier a couple weeks ago and I think it's going to be a good one. I tasted it when I bottled/kegged it a few days ago and was very happy with the results so far.

What sort of yeast did you use? I used wyeast 3944 (belgian witbier) and my experience using belgian yeast is to let it ferment for a lot longer than expected. And no, I did a DME brew

i would love to try your recipe, if you don't mind posting it. :rockin:
been looking for a witbier for a while now. but have been dragging my feet.
thank you

Back