Function of Primary and secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuel

Reaction score
What is the function of primary and secondary fermentation. How long do i have to do primary and secondary fermentation. I did some mash and in two weeks fermentation was finished acording to the hydrometer reading. If fermentation is finished that soon why would i need to ferment in secondary for a long period of time, say for example 2 months, if there is no bubbling and no fermentation ocurring. Any suggestions on when to rack and for how long to ferment my wine are needed.

What is the function of primary and secondary fermentation. How long do i have to do primary and secondary fermentation. I did some mash and in two weeks fermentation was finished acording to the hydrometer reading. If fermentation is finished that soon why would i need to ferment in secondary for a long period of time, say for example 2 months, if there is no bubbling and no fermentation ocurring. Any suggestions on when to rack and for how long to ferment my wine are needed.

"Primary" is a place for fermentation to get going, and get well underway, and for fruit and other goodies to ferment. After fermentation begins to slow, abot 1.010-1.020 (or 5-7 days), it's time for secondary.

In secondary, fermentation finishes and the wine is topped up to prevent it from oxidation. It will finish up, and start to clear. Lees will continue to drop, so the wine is racked at every 45-60 days and then topped up as long as new lees are forming. Once no new lees drop after at least 60 days, and the wine is perfectly clear, it is ready to bottle.

Latest posts

Back