Cartridge Filter as a Hopback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperpots_Brewing

Reaction score
So, I am already getting ready to spend my NB gift cards that I'm hoping to get for the holidays and 2 things I want to get into is filtering beer and using a Hopback. That got me wondering, is it possible to use a cartridge filter as a Hopback? Or can the cartridge not handle boiling temps? In my head, couldn't you just fill the canister with hops or whole spices or something, along with the filter, and filter go directly from there to my counter-flow chiller... killing 2 birds with one stone?
The only issue I can see is whether or not, 200+ degrees may be too much for the plastic housing.
Let me know your thoughts!

I thought about doing one of those, but decided against it because of the temps. If you only used it as a Randall on the cold side (when serving), it would be fine. So far, to use one unit for both boiling liquids as a hopback and cold liquids as a Randall, I think the Blichmann SS unit is probably the best.

That's exactly what im nervous about. I've seen a couple DIY posts on making them from smaller SS containers, but it'd be nice to not have to weld or solder stuff if I don't have to

The housing will shatter. Both of the ones I have say "Not for use with hot water"

They do make great randalls.

Latest posts

Back