Questions about an Imperial IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewBallz

Reaction score
Hello,

I just recently started to brew my own beer, will be starting my 6th batch here this weekend, anyway, my question is about a Imperial IPA that I drank yesterday. The name is "Hopdazed Imperial IPA", my question is if anyone would point me to a extract kit or recipe that I could follow to achieve a similar beer.

Description of beer is as follows:

Our West Coast-style Imperial India Pale Ale that's brewed with an extreme amount of malt and balanced by an extreme amount of hops for big citrus hop flavor and lots of bitterness. Starts sweet from the lamt and then a hp explosion in your mouth.

Hops: Chinook, Amarillo, and Centennial

Alcohol: 9.5%

I.B.U.'s: 100

I would love to make something as close to this as possible, if I had any changes they would be to make it more bitter(love bitter beers).

So if anyone would know of a recipe that would be close to this it would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

For my first IIPA I did the recipe below; I found it this site somewhere... However, the OG was 1.090 and I bottled it on April 4th and it's still flat. It's tastes pretty good but I'm getting tired of waiting on the carbonation. It's about 10.5 abv and is equally hoppy as it is malty. If I make this again I'm going to use more hops in the boil and DH as well as make it lighter in color. If you end up using it I would suggest using a bit more hops since you say you dig bitter beers. Hope this helps.

6.6lbs Briess Sparkling Amber LME (Subbed in DME)
2lbs Briess Pilsen/Light LME
2lbs Cane Sugar
.4 Briess Caramel 60L

1.5 Magnum – 60 min
1.0 Amarillo – 15 mins
1.0 Amarillo – 0 min
1.0 Cascade - DH
1.0 Simcoe – DH

White Labs California Ale (WLP001)

However, the OG was 1.090 and I bottled it on April 4th and it's still flat. It's tastes pretty good but I'm getting tired of waiting on the carbonation. 1.5 Magnum – 60 min

White Labs California Ale (WLP001)

For a beer this big, you should pitch a pack of champagne yeast 3 days before bottling.

Even then it may take 4 to 6 weeks to properly carb up at room temperature.

For a beer this big, you should pitch a pack of champagne yeast 3 days before bottling.

Even then it may take 4 to 6 weeks to properly carb up at room temperature.

Thanks for the tip man! I thought about just using champagne yeast all together but decided against it because I've never used it before. This beer cost me about 80 bucks, If I remember correctly, so I didn't want to screw it up. I'm going to treat it like a barleywine and wait 6 months. If there's still no carbonation then I'm going to have to punt.

To the OP- if you get a different recipe please post it! I'm brewing this weekend and I'm not sure if I want to do another IIPA or something more seasonal.

Shoot an email to the brewmaster at the Wolfcreek Brewing Co. ( I tried to google a clone recipe) and ask what malts/ crystal malts, and hops (I see those are covered), and see if they'll be happy to assisted you in the %'s or something like that. Its worth a shot and be curtious.
Also, don't treat it like a barely wine, those hop aroma's will fade a good amount after 6 months, fresher is better with ipa's/ iipa's. My iipa I'm going to be drinking hopefully after 3 weeks in bottles.

If you're using 2lbs of sugar, I hope you have your temperature well under control. As for the yeast, most Ale yeasts have enough alcohol tolerance to handle a IIPA, but you should be pitching the right amount. Additionally, Pilsen extract has a different taste from Light extract. Instead of using Amber extract, consider controlling the color with steeping grains and go with Light, Extra Light, or Gold extract.

Also, don't treat it like a barely wine, those hop aroma's will fade a good amount after 6 months, fresher is better with ipa's/ iipa's. My iipa I'm going to be drinking hopefully after 3 weeks in bottles.

The only reason I said that was because it has already sat in the bottle for 4
months and now almost 5. The hop aroma has probably cut back quite a bit by now anyway. At this point I just want to drink it. I'm over what it was supposed to be. Next time I brew an IIPA I'll take all your comments into consideration. I hope this thread also helps the OP with his future IIPA.
Thanks guys.

Back