Priming Problem - need help fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatboy

Reaction score
Well - long story short. I am the dude with the clove meat marinade (actually started as a hefeweizen wheat that overheated just a tad). I decided to keep the batch and let it sit for a few months in the carboy. Unsure if the yeast had autolyzed, I tossed in a batch of priming sugar and kept it in the carboy to see what happens. The yeast was active (didn't need to re-pitch) and the airlock was busy. Here's the problem....

This batch has been sitting for over a week and I decided to test a little sample last night. When siphoned from the carboy into a glass, it appeared to be somewhat carbonated. Rut-Row. Now how do I calculate the amount of priming sugar to make sure that I don't pop the bottle tops? Would the ceramic top bottles be better to use? :confused:

Thanks in advance - Paul

I'll third that motion. I'll bet it has a kinda dry finish to it.

Next time why don't you just try a sample, rather than throw more stuff into a batch you're trying to save?

Sam75 said:
Next time why don't you just try a sample, rather than throw more stuff into a batch you're trying to save?

That's exactly what I did. Clove taste so strong, wouldn't have picked out any other off flavors. I was actually going to toss the batch, and it was recommended that I try to save it and age it. Guess everybody has their own opinion... Including me.

Back