Strange gelatinous funnel monster in ginger syrup.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alchemedes

Reaction score
So, I made some awesome ginger syrup about 3-4 months ago, and totally forgot about it in the back of the fridge because I've been making ginger beer instead of doing the syrup-mix thing. Anywho, I had some bottled sparkling water laying around this evening and I remembered the syrup in the fridge. Syrup + sparkling water = tasty drink. So, I pulled out the bottle of syrup and found (to my surprise) a large gelatinous funnel shaped monster floating in it. :ban:

Ok, ok. I know your gonna say it's just the ginger, and normally I would assume this was just the ginger too, but look at this thing. It's huge (it takes up nearly the entire bottle) and it's really well formed in a funnel shape - it gets dark in the center because it goes down in the center - and it's pretty solid. Also, if I tip the glass around, the whole monster just slides about in a heavy way without busting apart at all.

This was just one of those ginger-simple syrup recipes with turbinado. Any ideas on what this could be? Just a simple congealment of sugars and ginger? I did open it and it still smells awesome.

If anything, have fun looking at the pics though :mug:

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

Those are just the ginger solids that have settled out, just like a 'trub monster'.

Just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
Depending on your tastes, you can stir it up again, or decant some of the clear stuff off to see if you like the result. The flavor of the decanted syrup shouldn't be much different, but the mouth feel will be thinner. I personally like the toothiness that the solids give, but you're the one drinking it.

Depending on your tastes, you can stir it up again, or decant some of the clear stuff off to see if you like the result. The flavor of the decanted syrup shouldn't be much different, but the mouth feel will be thinner. I personally like the toothiness that the solids give, but you're the one drinking it.

Well, I took your advice for an experiment and tasted only the clear portion. It is hands down probably THE BEST ginger syrup I have ever had, ever! :rockin:

Back