Happy Repeal Day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoXP

Reaction score
December 5th is the anniversary of the day the United States repealed the 18th Amendment, ending prohibition, and giving us all the constitutional right to consume alcohol. This year is the 75th anniversary. To date this is not yet an official holiday. But, awareness/adoption could one day help make this the first truly American drinking holiday. (Unlike St. Patrick’s Day, Cinco de Mayo, Oktoberfest, etc.) Here are a few reasons why Repeal Day should be a holiday in the U.S.

We have the constitutional right to do so. How many forms of pleasure are guaranteed by the Constitution? None. Unless you’re one of those who get an inflated sense of ego from holding a firearm or speaking in public. Me, I’m going to stick with alcohol.

It’s at the right time. Conveniently located about halfway between Thanksgiving and Christmas, at a time when we’re probably not with our families, the Fifth of December represents a great time to get together with friends and celebrate our constitutional rights.

Repeal Day doesn’t exclude. Are you an American, or are you located in the United States? Congratulations, you’re invited to join our party! Being French on Cinco de Mayo is about as cool as being British on the Fourth of July. But December Fifth is a day that’s open to anyone!

It’s Easy! There are no outfits to buy, costumes to rent, rivers to dye green. Simply celebrate the day by stopping by your local bar, tavern, saloon, winery, distillery, or brewhouse and having a drink. Pick up a six-pack on your way home from work. Split a bottle of wine with a loved one. Buy a shot for a stranger. Just do it because you can.

This day, 74 years ago, a majority of states ratified the 21st admendment, ending prohibition at the federal level.

http://www.repealday.org/

Crack open a brew and celebrate! (Like you needed a reason...)

December 5th is the anniversary of the day the United States repealed the 18th Amendment, ending prohibition, and giving us all the constitutional right to consume alcohol. This year is the 75th anniversary. To date this is not yet an official holiday. But, awareness/adoption could one day help make this the first truly American drinking holiday. (Unlike St. Patrick’s Day, Cinco de Mayo, Oktoberfest, etc.) Here are a few reasons why Repeal Day should be a holiday in the U.S.

We have the constitutional right to do so. How many forms of pleasure are guaranteed by the Constitution? None. Unless you’re one of those who get an inflated sense of ego from holding a firearm or speaking in public. Me, I’m going to stick with alcohol.

It’s at the right time. Conveniently located about halfway between Thanksgiving and Christmas, at a time when we’re probably not with our families, the Fifth of December represents a great time to get together with friends and celebrate our constitutional rights.

Repeal Day doesn’t exclude. Are you an American, or are you located in the United States? Congratulations, you’re invited to join our party! Being French on Cinco de Mayo is about as cool as being British on the Fourth of July. But December Fifth is a day that’s open to anyone!

It’s Easy! There are no outfits to buy, costumes to rent, rivers to dye green. Simply celebrate the day by stopping by your local bar, tavern, saloon, winery, distillery, or brewhouse and having a drink. Pick up a six-pack on your way home from work. Split a bottle of wine with a loved one. Buy a shot for a stranger. Just do it because you can.

"remember remember the 5th of december"
Guy Fäwkes night is cool and all, but come on... Alcohol wins.

God Bless the USA. It would have been better if the 18th ammendment never passed to begin with but at least we got it corrected later.

GeoXP said:

I applaud your enthusiasm, but you are mistaken. Drinking is not a constitutionally guaranteed "right". The repeal of Prohibition did not insert a "right to drink". It merely withdrew a constitutional ban that existed previously. It is not like the Right to Bear Arms or the Right to Peacably Assemble. There is nothing in the Constitution that gives us The Right to Drink. You need to learn your history, son.

That said, it is indeed reason to celebrate.

GeoXP said:

thats beautiful

There is nothing in the Constitution that gives us The Right to Drink.

Ninth Ammedment:
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

In otherwords, just because the Constitution doesn't specifically spell out a right, doesn't mean that the right doesn't exist.

Cheers!

It's my dad's birthday and was supposed to be my son's birthday but he came out a week later.

I think we may need to drink tonight.

Mutilated1 said:
In otherwords, just because the Constitution doesn't specifically spell out a right, doesn't mean that the right doesn't exist.

Cheers!

I agree. We have the right, it's just not a right guaranteed by the consitution, as the OP thought. That's why there can still be dry counties and states. Cheers.:mug:

True, the 18th did not prohibit people from drinking, if you could figure out a way to drink without making it, buying it or importing it. So, the 21st didn't need to give us the right to drink.

Bernie Brewer said:
I agree. We have the right, it's just not a right guaranteed by the consitution, as the OP thought. That's why there can still be dry counties and states. Cheers.:mug:
I would agree, just like the constitution doesn't guarantee the right to piss, but we do it. We have the right to everything we want to do, the constitution guarantees certain rights and laws prohibit things rich people think we shouldn't do.

Back