Siebel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Art by David Shrigley
Reaction score
Well things seem to have come together in my favor. I am going to Chicago in the fall to attend the two week program at Siebel. Holy ****.

Anyone want to get together for a beer?

I'm not in Chi Town, but I suspect some day I'll go to Siebel for a program. Have a few pints that aren't over-hopped for a poor PNW'er.

be prepared to absorb and overwhelming amount of information. A brilliant friend of mine that is a PRO, went to a seminar they held in Montreal that involved lab analysis, and was amazed at how little he knew about yeast!

I ordered their main texstbooks (should be here tomorrow) I plan to read them through a few times before going. I have almost 3 months to cram to avoid the potential fiasco.

Has anyone attended Siebel and what are the job placement results? My second question was how did people pay for it, do they offer aid like with other colleges and univerisites? Thanks

No financial Aid. Basically bank loan, home equity or max out credit cards. Total with Germany approximate 22,000. That's with housing in Chicago.

doublesimcoe said:
No financial Aid. Basically bank loan, home equity or max out credit cards. Total with Germany approximate 22,000. That's with housing in Chicago.

Man, that's rough. Is any brewery gonna hire someone without professional training? Not as their brewmaster, but as an assistant or something like that? I'm interested in trying to get a job at one of my local brewpubs, and would like to get some professional brewing experience under my belt.

Hey CF, I was considering going to school there, what was the job market like after grad., and did they help with job placement after or was that all on you?

I know a guy who went through the full program complete with the trip to Germany. He told me a pretty similar story. He emptied his savings and maxed out his credit cards to pay for it. Now he works for a small craft brewery as a lab tech. He essentially farms yeast. He's making an ok living, but he's not getting rich.

Check out this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/siebel-institute-technology-web-courses-256602/#post3220434

I am heading up there at the end of November. If you are going to be there, let me know, love to get a brew with someone.

Christmascity: As far as I can tell, they do ask if anyone at your company (if you are in a brewing related field) is going to help pay and I believe they work with them. I paid by credit card (do not accept AMEX). As far as job placement, I would suspect it is just like trying to get a job in any field. A school can only do so much, it is up to you push the doors open. Now I am only doing the online course, but I am attending an intensive 3 day course at the end of November. In my case, though, I have a business plan ready, but just need these final two steps in order to secure investors for what I am looking to do.

ChefJoeR, do you happy to have any paperwork or links that explain the degree program in detail? I'm currently designing my own brewing history degree program and need reference material as per my advisor. Thanks!

Back