Yeast Usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillyP

Reaction score
So I have now pitched my wort on the same Yeast (WLP0001) for the third time and it seems to ferment faster every time. Initial took about a week to ferment, cause it was building up the yeast culture, the second time took about 3 days, and the last batch I did was done fermenting in like 1 day. I assume this is normal. Anyone else used the yeast cake over and over and notice fermetation times going down? I guess I'll have to check the F.G. to be sure.

ChillyP said:
So I have now pitched my wort on the same Yeast (WLP0001) for the third time and it seems to ferment faster every time. Initial took about a week to ferment, cause it was building up the yeast culture, the second time took about 3 days, and the last batch I did was done fermenting in like 1 day. I assume this is normal. Anyone else used the yeast cake over and over and notice fermetation times going down? I guess I'll have to check the F.G. to be sure.

more yeastees around to eat the goodness. I wouldn't use the same cake too many times...I've heard it starts to give off some funky flavors b/c of mutations. I start over after using the same dudes once.

Makes sense to me. Yeast keep multiplying, more yeast per sugar molecule, fermentaion takes less time.

Yeah. I have read of people using WLP001 10 times and thought that was a little over kill. I know people in my Homebrew club have used it 2 to 3 times. I think this will be my last run with it, but I might try experimenting with it. Anyways. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back