wheat for superbowl (brew wednesday?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antony

Reaction score
I'm thinking that if I get a extract wheat started on Wednesday that it should be ready for the superbowl on Feb. 3rd. Ten days in a bucket, 2 weeks in bottles...it'd be very young but I think I can make it happen.

Comments? Whatcha think?

If you were kegging, I think you would be fine. Being that you are bottling, it could be a toss up as to whether it carbs up in 2 weeks. It should work, make sure once you bottle it to store them in a nice warm room at 70F +

Pitch plenty of yeast, aerate well and I think you have a shot. Make sure to bottle ASAP after hitting target/stable gravity and keep bottles in a 80 degree location. I've done many beers with carbonation in 2 weeks. The nice thing about wheat beers is that they generally are best young, so the yeast hasn't got time to flocc out and carbing should be quick.

I agree with Kaz, it might be time to consider kegging. Turning a wheat beer around in 1 month from brew to glass via a keg is pretty straightforward, I'd be skeptical that it'll be fully ready via bottles though. In fact, this thread has reminded me to get a blonde going this week to be served (from a keg) on superbowl Sunday myself.

It's worth a shot even if you don't get a keg, worst case it's not quite ready and you drink some store bought beer during the game while telling all your friends how great the homebrew will be if you come back a week later? :) Just be absolutely sure that fermentation is done before you bottle. Don't let your eagerness to have beer ready for the big game put you in danger of bottle bombs.

Cheers!

(Go Seahawks!)

alright, picked up 7lbs of wheat extract, saaz & hallertau, & wyeast 3638. add water and let's cross our fingers that we'll have drinkable beer by feb 3rd.

if not, i've got milk stouts & coconut porters (but i don't wanna share those as much). i'll report back...wish me luck!!

(& i'm cheerin for denver this year...my wife had the same surgery as manning & that guy is remarkable.)

alright, picked up 7lbs of wheat extract, saaz & hallertau, & wyeast 3638. add water and let's cross our fingers that we'll have drinkable beer by feb 3rd.

if not, i've got milk stouts & coconut porters (but i don't wanna share those as much). i'll report back...wish me luck!!

(& i'm cheerin for denver this year...my wife had the same surgery as manning & that guy is remarkable.)

Don't ferment too warm if using the German wheat yeast. The banana clove can go crazy and make your beer like spicy juicy fruit. Watch this in the bottle as well.

UPDATE:

checked the gravity last night again & its a stable 1.009 after 9 days. bottling tonight. i'll keep the bottles in the warmest room in the house, though i'm positive my wife isn't going to like them in the kitchen.

at this point, it's anyone but the pats...

I turned a wheat around with 10 days fermentation, and I thought it was best after only 3 days in the bottles! The esters started clearing out after a couple of weeks conditioning.

sampled this tonight. its carbed and drinkable. not my favorite i've made but it'll satisfy a house full of people i hope. thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back