big problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy

Reaction score
i am having a huge problem with my fermentation prcess, at first it wasnt bublling at all and after a few days it wasnt either. we recently added two more packs of yeast which still did nothing. we have even heard about the possible temperature problem so we moved a heater next to it for a little while. that also hasnt worked we are using a plastic pale for the first time for fermentation. we dont have anymore ideas of what we can do too get the beer going.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated and soon because we are contemplating dumping the whole thing which i really don want ot do.
Thank you very much. :)

Are there any signs of fermentation? Foam on top of the beer? A ring of "gunk" above the level of the beer? Do you have a hydrometer - if so, what was the OG, and what is the gravity now?

It's possible that your fermenter doesn't have a perfect seal, so CO2 is escaping somewhere other than through the airlock.

im pretty sure the pale were using is sealed and there is abit of gunk on the beer level so there probably was activity at one time

Don't throw it away then...and if it never bubbled, but there is "gunk," it wasn't sealed well enough for the airlock to do its thing. That's not a very big concern - even a poorly sealed lid will keep out most of the contaminants that you're worried about. You should probably taste it. If it tastes ok, leave it alone for another week or two, then bottle. Invest in a hydrometer and learn how to use it - that'll help keep you out of trouble in the future.

Back