Ahhrghh! Scorching!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teacher

Reaction score
So I did a semi-split boil last night. I do PMs, so I only use a 5-gallon pot for my boil. This time my mash was pretty big, so I also used a 10-quart stock pot for the extra, figuring I'd be able to combine it into the main pot after some boil. I added a little DME and a smattering of the bittering hops and stirred once in a while. However, I obviously wasn't attentive enough, because when I went to pour it into the big pot, I noticed a scorched smell, and there was a black film at the bottom. This has never happened to me before. I didn't notice it until about one or two quarts made it into the main pot. I couldn't really smell anything unusual in the wort after cooling, but I'm afraid I'll have a scorched taste. (1.) What do you think? (2.) If you've had scorching before, has it subsided with age?

next time take the pot off the heat before you add the DME and make sure its fully dissolved before you put it back on.

I brewed drunk a few weeks ago and was making a really light wit. I scorched the hell out of it... I bottled it yesterday and couldn't smell or taste any scorching so you may be fine.

Been sitting on a scorched IPA for several months now. The hop aroma and flavor is almost gone, but the burned aftertaste is not. It's actually worse now that the hops are not there...

Well, it probably won't taste quite like you were hoping. First off, what was the beer style? If its darker like a stout or porter, might not be an issue at all. If its light, it will be more pronounced.

Ferment as usual and see how it comes out. One option might be to dry hop the crap out of it to help mask some of that taste. Another option would be to blend it with some other beer you make to help mask it.

See how it comes out first and then do damage control.

It's a sort of hybrid Roggen with an American yeast (US-05). Just an experiment. Not hoppy at all, and I'll only dry hop it a lot if I must. I'll taste it at bottling time (I didn't taste any last night...I wish I had).

next time take the pot off the heat before you add the DME and make sure its fully dissolved before you put it back on.

I did. It wasn't until near the end that it scorched. I'm thinking it had more to do with density than with free-floating, undisolved DME.

Back