Juice machine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluefoxicy

Reaction score
Mom has an excess juice machine now. The silly folks that made it told her to disable it by cutting the plug off the cord and sending it in, and they'll send her a new machine (the handle broke off hers, that's all). I build guitar amps, do you really think I can't crimp/solder/etc and epoxy seal a new plug onto a cord? ;)

I might wind up with a juice machine. I'm thinking, juicing apples for cider, or ginger to spice up ginger beer/saison/soda/etc?

It's a rhetorical question. Lemme translate for y'all.

The silly folks that made mom's juice maker told her to disable it by cutting the plug off the cord and sending the plug in, and they'll send her a new machine. I build guitar amps, do they really think I can't crimp/solder/etc and epoxy seal a new plug onto a cord?

Mom has an extra juice machine now. :D Which means I might wind up with a juice machine. What do you all think of using it to juice apples for cider, or ginger to spice up ginger beer/saison/soda/etc?

He's not asking for help, he's saying, "Geez the manufacturers of products in this disposable society we live in these days are idiots. They think we are so bloody incompetent that we are no longer capable of replacing a broken plug. But hey, if they are stupid enough to send my mother a replacement machine simply by sending in the cut off cord, I might as well take advantage of it. Especially since I repair/build guitar amps all the time.

Gents, do you think such a thing would be useful in the home brewing environment?"

Maybe it's a Maryland thing,that type of sentence structure that is? :D

(I can't remember what it's called...Is it a "reflexive" sentence?)

Awesome interpretation Revvy.

Yeah he is just asking if its worth it to juice his own apples. Many people argue that fresh juice can produce the best cider, but the benefit of juicing your own would be that you can select your apples. But if you are using eating apples instead of cider apples anyways, wouldn't it be better to just buy it? It does take a ton of time and apples for even 1 gallon.

If he is asking if its worth it to juice his own apples for cider a thread that was bumped the day he made the thread would have come up in a search.

Damn guys, chill out and re-read the message. Like Revvy said, he's not asking for help, he's poking fun at the manufacturer for thinking cutting the cord off is going to "disable" the juicer.

Mom has an excess juice machine now. The silly folks that made it told her to disable it by cutting the plug off the cord and sending it in, and they'll send her a new machine (the handle broke off hers, that's all). I build guitar amps, do you really think I can't crimp/solder/etc and epoxy seal a new plug onto a cord? ;)

I might wind up with a juice machine. I'm thinking, juicing apples for cider, or ginger to spice up ginger beer/saison/soda/etc?

I had this happen with a B&D toaster oven. Clipped the cord and sent it to them. After they send a replacement I replaced the cord, glued on the broken handles and had a new toaster oven for the vacation house.

I inherited it from my father, so don't blame me if I sound like an old man.

But they just don't make things like they used to. They make things to break and be thrown out, and the companies treat US like we're incapable of doing anything functional. And maybe we can't any more, maybe those skills are pretty much enculturated out of society, so we are just cogs in the consumer machine.

My dad was the king of "re purposing" things, especially things tossed out on trashday. Slap a little paint, solder a wire here or there, and whammo.

I am so glad I picked up that trait from him. Plus I subscribe to both Make and Craft magazines, which are big on the diy/re purposing ethos. And I love digging through OLD copies of popular mechanics from the turn of the last century til the late 60's back before lawyers made everything have safety guards and discouraged you from serious tinkering....I guess that's why I like this hobby so much, we can do stuff, make stuff...

Though I miss shadetree mechanics...If you had a car problem, you pulled it into your neighbor's back yard, and all the old timer's came over, and at LEAST one of them knew what was wrong immediately...And for the cost of a trip to the auto parts store (do they still actually sell AUTO PARTS in those stores these days?) and a case of Stroh's you were back on the road in a couple hours...

Remember when you could actually stick your hand inside the engine compartment and do stuff??? In my lifetime I have actually changed the struts on my old Honda, replaced a fan, changed a thermostat, did countless break jobs....But I can't remember the last time or last car I could do anything like that on...at least 4 vehicles ago...And I cant even remember the last time I changed my own oil.... Sheesh...maybe we really do need a Zombipocalype so we can get back to the good ole days, before corporate America did our thinking for us....

/rant :D

But they just don't make things like they used to. They make things to break and be thrown out, and the companies treat US like we're incapable of doing anything functional.

This has been referenced as the "throw-away society" and in fact I think that's an actual technical term. Good examples of this tend to include things like CD-R media (to transfer ONE SMALL FILE) and packaging (HP, Dell), but these days we also landfill any computer more than 2 years old and buy a new $400 one (remember when a 486 was $2000?). I use rechargeable batteries because I refuse to spend tons of money on my battery-chewing devices like the Wiimote or digital camera; most people I know keep a 50 pack of AAs for these.

Mods: Should probably move this to General Chit-Chat.

Hey guys...let's reconsider the original post a little bit, here!

Apples, or any friut, ran through a counter-top juicer is going to be HEAVY with sediment, right!

Does anyone have any idea how much sediment would be in a 5-gallon bucket of this juice. Think about it, there would be no cap to be constantly punching down.

Ferment it under a cheese cloth, pour the juice/must off of the sediment into a secondary, and you are on your way, right!

Would not this method yield way more juice????

Anyone got any experience in this area?

Pogo

BTW - Couldn't the juice be filtered out of the sediment with a fine mesh nylon bag, or would the sediment be so fine that it would pass right through, (Hmmm...maybe pantyhose would do a better job) and use the fruit sediment in jams, jellies, pie fillings, etc.?

Huh?

I inherited it from my father, so don't blame me if I sound like an old man.

But they just don't make things like they used to. They make things to break and be thrown out, and the companies treat US like we're incapable of doing anything functional. And maybe we can't any more, maybe those skills are pretty much enculturated out of society, so we are just cogs in the consumer machine.

Planned obsolescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your old toaster only has 4 settings! This one has 5! $40 please.

Hey guys...let's reconsider the original post a little bit, here!

Apples, or any friut, ran through a counter-top juicer is going to be HEAVY with sediment, right!

Does anyone have any idea how much sediment would be in a 5-gallon bucket of this juice. Think about it, there would be no cap to be constantly punching down.

Ferment it under a cheese cloth, pour the juice/must off of the sediment into a secondary, and you are on your way, right!

Would not this method yield way more juice????

Anyone got any experience in this area?

Pogo

BTW - Couldn't the juice be filtered out of the sediment with a fine mesh nylon bag, or would the sediment be so fine that it would pass right through, (Hmmm...maybe pantyhose would do a better job) and use the fruit sediment in jams, jellies, pie fillings, etc.?

Huh?

Make a cider press and press the sediment....heck for small batches you could even use a french press coffee pot (like Chris Colby has mentioned in BYO for pressing hops)

041-117-01.jpg

How to Build a Cider Press

You can also make one out of an old Maytag washer evidently. (this article is awesome, especially if you are going to consistantly be doing large batches...)

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1982-09-01/The-Maytag-Cider-Press.aspx

Here's another design....ReadyMade: CIDER PRESS

I can't show you, you have to be a Craft Subscriber to view the online edition, but they recommend a 30 dollar home depot garbage disposal mounted on a frame and emptying into a bucket to shred the apples prior to juicing and pressing, for those of you who don't have a free juicer...

Somehow I managed to talk about Juicing AND repurposing at the same time :D

I was just querying if replacement plugs are available in the US like they are in the UK.
A simple screw on replacement like this.

uk%20mains%20plug%20wiring.png

If so then were the company just after proof you own the unit or do they think it means the unit is scrap?

I did over 20 gallons of cider with a juicer.

Yes there was plenty of sediment but also lots of juice.

If so then were the company just after proof you own the unit or do they think it means the unit is scrap?

If you are not a licensed electrician you can not wire a simple plug connector onto a wire, it's somehow physically impossible. Dad's visit to Home Depot was just some ungodly form of black magic.

You're not American, I wouldn't expect you to understand the intricate complexities of doing the most simple, brain-numbing tasks that puts them so far out of the reach of mere mortals without giant factories filled with Mexican immigrants. One day we might even reach a level of technology where we can make paper airplanes in factories, so people won't have to risk their lives folding their own.

If you are not a licensed electrician you can not wire a simple plug connector onto a wire, it's somehow physically impossible. Dad's visit to Home Depot was just some ungodly form of black magic.

You're not American, I wouldn't expect you to understand the intricate complexities of doing the most simple, brain-numbing tasks that puts them so far out of the reach of mere mortals without giant factories filled with Mexican immigrants. One day we might even reach a level of technology where we can make paper airplanes in factories, so people won't have to risk their lives folding their own.
Your an idiot.

I love reading Bluefoxicy's posts. He's all over the forum, has almost 200 posts in one month.

Every once in a while he has a tendency to offend. Not sure if it's on purpose... Need to re-install filter between brain and mouth/fingers for proper fitting.

Michael

I have twice the posts, and only 10 threads. And I've been here for a year to his 1 month haha

OK...let's get back on track here!

Can anyone recommend a GOOD juicer?

Actually...can someone point me to the most KICK-A$$ juicer on the market today?

Thanks,

Pogo

Actually...can someone point me to the most KICK-A$$ juicer on the market today?

Thanks,

Pogo

If you're wanting to use it to make hard ciders, the 30 dollar home depot garbage disposal mounted on a frame and emptying into a bucket to shred the apples prior to juicing and pressing, would be the most "kick ass" way to make pomace for juice pressing.

I have found that it is much more expensive to buy fruit and juice it, than it is too just buy quality juice. Unless you get a really good deal.

But I do understand wanting to DIY. I have a 6 or 8 yr old Hamilton Beach juice extractor, You could probably juice a brick with it if you could get it into the hole.:p

Yeah...this thread really is a train wreck, but I'm gonna keep plunging onward for a little longer, at least.

I wish that I gotten interested in making wine years ago, because of the homemade wine potential that I can now see.

I live on a farm, surrounded by farms. I shiver when I think of all of the fruits that I've just let slip through my fingers lately, by not having a set up to handle them.

Watermelons, cantalopes, plums, figs, muscadines, apples, peaches, pears, yadda yadda yadda!

My neighbors, and myself, freely offer each other the excesses of our gardens and orchards. But, even then, there is plenty that just goes to waste, because we're too busy to do anything more than make a little jam or jelly, and then let the rest go.

Decades ago, my GrandPap, and then later, his oldest son, my uncle, made sorgham syrup from scratch.

They had a mill, turned by mules, that crushed the cane. The juice ran out of that mill like water!

They grew their own cane for their/our needs, and then crushed cane for the public on halves, selling syrup back to the public.

What an operation!

The commercial apple presses available thru my LHBS are flimsy things, in my view.

If someone could adapt a syrup mill with an electric motor, now THAT would be a press for ANY kind of fruit!

Anyway, thanks for the input Revvy!

I need to study the garbage disposal angle a little more, it does make sense. But, the presses, like you show the prints for, still leave tons of juice in the pulp, as far as I can see.

Later,

Pogo

Thanks,

Pogo

The Champion Juicer high dollar but well worth it. The pulp comes out almost dry. The motor on it is the size of a bench grinder.

I run my apples through a juicer then pour the juice into a jelly strainer. This got rid of most of the sediment and the batch I have now has been bubbling strong for 3 weeks with only a little yeast nutrient added.

I have found that it is much more expensive to buy fruit and juice it, than it is too just buy quality juice. Unless you get a really good deal.

I just recently read here on one of these posts that one could use concentrate? Would any of you recommend using this instead of the liquified gallon jugs of juice/cider? It'd be much cheaper.

I just recently read here on one of these posts that one could use concentrate? Would any of you recommend using this instead of the liquified gallon jugs of juice/cider? It'd be much cheaper.

Sure, as long as there isn't any preservatives listed on the ingredients. Sorbate is a big one to watch out for.

I think the quality of fresh pressed cider is a little better, but there is nothing wrong with concentrate or juice from the store either.

Hey crisco think of it this way, which would you rather drink juice or juice from concentrate. Its also kind of like using liquid malt extract in beer. It isn't quite the real thing. I have used concentrate as a sugar alternative, because I figure I can add the sugar I want for a certain SG, and I might as well add some more apple flavor, but I try not to buy juice made from concentrate, much less make it at home.

But it's really just a personal choice.

Latest posts

Back