Weihenstephaner Hefe Clone Recipe help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Weihenstephaner Hefe Clone Recipe. I found an older thread with the recipe below listed. I'm curious if anyone has any other clone recipes or any other advice. or is this recipe pretty close to the original?

I found this recipe in an older thread:

6.5# German Wheat Malt (61.90%)
3.5# German Pils (33.33%)
.5# Rice Hulls (4.76%)
.5 oz. Hallertauer (60 min)
.5 oz. Hallertauer (10 min)

Mash at 153F for 60 min.

Wyeast 3068 Weinhenstephan yeast.

Ferment at the upper end of the temp range (68-70) to really make the banana flavours pop.

Thanks in advance.

jlw

That is a solid basic recipe... I lean more toward Schneider Weiss and prefer a clove flavor forward in my wheat. So I did a lot of research and reading. I suggest checking out this thread . It is epic in length, but you get a lot of insight into what people experienced with various yeasts and grain bills.
We talked about it here.

The recipe I often use is 6lb wheat, 4 lbs Munich (or vienna sometimes, subtle differences). .75 hallertau (sometimes tettnang) 45 minutes, .25 hallertau at 15 minutes. mash rests at 111 degrees and 152. ferment in the low 60s (62 wort temp).

The current keg (tapped last night!) had the second hop addition at 5 min (mowing the grass, oops!) and I would say it is very pleasant.

I love wheat beer... it is worth the effort. Check out Stan Hieronymus' book brewing with wheat if you want to obsess more.

:mug:

If you aren't doing a decoction, consider adding melanoidin malt or munich malt to the grain bill.

It's crucial to pitch low. I pitched a hefe at 60, fermented at 65, and it got a little out of control and got up to 68 and it had a TON of banana. Almost too much. I've used that same yeast strain and pitched/fermented at 68 and it didnt have as much banana. I think pitching cool is really important in the ester production for this yeast.

Making a great hefe is all about process. The recipes for all the hefeweizens are basically the same. But a decoction mash and fermentation are crucial. In fact, I sometimes do extract hefe's, using Breiss, and they usually come out better than my all grain ones because I havent been doing decoctions. But I'm working on subbing munich malt and/or melanadoin malt to make up for that.

Good point on the decoction. This is something I haven't tried before and have been reading a lot on the subject and considering trying for this beer. If I understand the process correctly it would look something like this:

10 lbs of grain * 1.25quarts = 12.5quarts or 3.125 gallons

Step 1: Mash in with 3.125 gallons at 125* rest for 20 min.
Step 2: Draw off 1 to 1.5 gallons with some grain and bring to boil.
Step 3: Add contents of boil back to mash to raise tmp of grain bed to 153* stir in well multiple times and continue mash for additional 40 minutes
Step 4: drain MT
Step 5: Sparge with ~ 5 gallons? Or is it the same amount of mash water? This is where I am still unsure on.

I am not a believer in decoction and have even had great beers without the 111 degrees acid rest, but I totally agree to pitch cool. The thread I cited below talks about this (both of them do actually). I pitch in the 50s and let it rise to the low 60s.

The process above for decoction is generally correct. I would start with 111 degrees as opposed to a protein rest at 125 degrees.

Your sparge quantity will depend on how much your system absorbs/leaves behind. But it would be ballpark 5 gallons for that recipe on mine.

I would encourage you to try it with a simple step mash and use the munich. But the decoction will work.

regardless, drink that wheat beer!!!!!!

I have adjusted my recipe and plugged it into Beersmith. My system efficiency seems to be around 80-85% so the grain bill is adjusted for that (although I'm still not confident it's always that efficient). I think until I can learn more about acid rests for this version I will stick with a single infusion. For pitching it sounds like I need to chill to 60* or below.

Recipe: Weissbier
Brewer: Jeremy
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.92 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 11.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.13 %
4 lbs 12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 48.72 %
4 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 46.15 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (20 min)Hops 4.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) [Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 12.19 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

I read an article in BYO magazine about Hefe's.

https://byo.com/stories/item/1574-weissbier

It discussed the phenolics and ferulic acid in these types of beers-

The article described how traditional German brewers will use an infusion mash-

Starting out at 99 degrees F and ending at 145 degrees F!

Has anyone had any experience mashing with these low temp's?

Thanks,
Keith

I am looking to brew a Weihenstephan Clone using LME or DME. I am not set up for all grain and wanted to see if anyone has done a batch using LME. Any and all imput would be greatly appricated! Thanks Guys!

Tison

We use 3068 at work for our hefe. You're pretty close to what we do. 60/40 wheat to 2 row, hallertau magnum at 90 minutes and hallertau tradition at 20. We mash at 68* C.

Edit: only read the op and didn't notice the date. How did this turn out? For an extract version I would use the 60/40 ratio with wheat and light extract.

Back