Delicious Beer In 10-14 Days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxbrewer

Reaction score
I decided to brew a beer out of Charlie Papazian's book The Complete Joy of Home Brewing. This is the fourth batch I have brewed and I wanted to brew an English Brown Ale. I also want to get a steady supply of home brew. I found this recipe for Elbro Nertke Brown Ale. It is supposed to be an award winning recipe, "heralded for its quick maturity. The instructions say this beer is quickly-maturing and lends itself to single stage fermentation. It says to bottle after 5-6 days and it is drinkable in another 7. This sounded great because it would help me keep a steady supply of beer. All of the other beers I have brewed (Pale Ale, Red Ale, Stout) have not tasted bad when tasting hydrometer samplings after 2 weeks but they have tasted like they need more time to mature. Why will this beer be any different? I have thought about following the 1-2-3 rule but I am lead to believe I don't need to. If anyone has brewed this beer or tasted it please let me know what you think. I would love to be drinking this beer in a week but I will put it in a secondary fermenter also let it bottle age if it needs it. :tank:

Simple, somewhat neutral ingredients paired with a very clean, good flocculating yeast strain will yield good beer fast. Your pale ale probably had some pungent hop character that needed to mellow a bit. Stouts tend to have lots of acrid, roasty ingredients that require some aging in order to take the edge off of the strong flavor. On the other hand, brown ale requires little hops, mild roasted grains, and is usually fermented with a very clean English ale yeast. It will still benefit from a little aging, but its overall character isn't likely to change significantly once it's clear and carbonated.

I have not brewed this beer, but i brewed an English mild about 14 days ago and I am enjoying it on draft right now. Typically, lower gravity English brews are ready for consumption fairly quick, but at the same time they age very well.

Back