Hop Varieties for new Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkiller001

Reaction score
Hey all:
I'm planning a single - hop IPA (would do a SMaSH brew, but I'm still extract brewing). I'm looking for a woodsy, spicy hop; something similar to northern brewer. I was looking through the different hop lists stickied in this forum, and I'm having a little difficutly. I was hoping to have a list of potentials, so that when I go to my LHBS I can find something in stock that I want. The BYO guide seems the most useful for my purposes, but I thought that I'd post my potential list, and see what y'all think.

Northern Brewer
Chinook
Pride of Ringwood
Nugget?

Am I crazy for using any of these as a single hop? most of the SMaSH postings I've seen seem to be using Amarillo or Cascade...

any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm hoping to brew this sunday...
-aaron

I used East Kent goldings with my SMaSH and it was wonderful. Nice earthy, kinda floral. One of my best beers so far, granted this was a malty smash brew and not an IPA.

I think Pride of Ringwood is used as a single hop for some Australian beers. (Do you have a source for them?) I've seen recipes where it's used all over the boil.

If you can get Columbus that sounds perfect for a single hop IPA with a "woodsy, spicy" profile. Nugget would be a good substitution also.

Thanks for the responses.
Hooter: thanks for the tip on columbus/tomahawk. I'll throw that to the top of the list when I'm at the LHBS.
DeathBrewer: Would Vienna be a good choice for all the hops on my list? (ie columbus, chinook etc?)
Also, will European Northern Brewer be better than American?

-a

DeathBrewer: Would Vienna be a good choice for all the hops on my list? (ie columbus, chinook etc?)

Yes. IMO, Vienna is a PERFECT base malt for all SMaSH brews. It is nice and malty, but not overpowering...gives a great base for a pale ale type beer if you mash at 150-152°F (which would be the right style for those hops.) It adds wonderful flavor and complexity while still very clean.

I would sincerely try the northern brewer. I meant "one of the best beers in the world" when I said it. I've brewed this beer more often than any other recipe and it has never dissapointed.

German Tradition is a very similiar hop, too, and gives you that woody, spicey flavor you are looking for.

OK... now we're cookin! Can't wait for Sunday.
One more question (ok, maybe a few more):
I'm still extract brewing -- I've seen your PM set up, but haven't had a chance to replicate it. I'll use some vienna malt in grain bags, any thoughts on extracts here?

How does this look for a recipe:
I'm using a 3g boil for a 5.25g batch.
Bitterness: 72 IBU
OG: 1.060 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 6.4% v/v (5.0% w/w)
Grain: 5 lb. American Vienna
Boil: minutes SG 1.105 3 gallons
6.6 lb. Light malt extract
Hops: 1.5 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 45 min.)
1 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 30 min.)
1.25 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 15 min.)
1.25 oz. Northern Brewer (aroma)

this is my first time writing a recipe -- I used Beer Recipator.
I made a guess at FG assuming characteristics of WY 1332 (Nottingham?). Is this a reasonable assumption?
Do the hop additions look ok -- or should I consolidate some of them into higher amounts in less additions?

Any comments would be appreciated.
-aaron

Latest posts

Back