decoction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronwillen

Reaction score
im brewing right as we speak....when doing a decoction do i let it sit for the time period...decoct.boil readd and start the timer???? or do i add the full volume..immediately decoct and start boiling while waiting for the allotted time for that step???

Mash in (whole mash), let sit for 5 min. Pull decoction and keep the rest of the mash at the intended temp, heat decoction to next step, hold at that temp. for about 10 min., heat decoction to boiling, boil decoction for 5 min., return decoction to mash. Does that help?

yup sounds good! this is my first decoction mash and im pretty excited about it!

stir frequently! Good luck! I frequently do single decoctions and think it's worth it for me. I'm drinking a single decocted Munich Dunkel right now that's finally ready to drink... I brewed it 3 months ago!... but man is it good.:mug:

stir frequently! Good luck! I frequently do single decoctions and think it's worth it for me. I'm drinking a single decocted Munich Dunkel right now that's finally ready to drink... I brewed it 3 months ago!... but man is it good.
I love doing decoctions as well, I almost always do a very thin one for mashout. I have a triple decocted munich dunkel that's finally ready to bottle after 6 months lagering. The anticipation is killing me! :D

I love doing decoctions as well, I almost always do a very thin one for mashout. I have a triple decocted munich dunkel that's finally ready to bottle after 6 months lagering. The anticipation is killing me! :D

6 months!!? That's way too long. You're crazy. Quit bein' crazy.:)

things seem to be going well so far...im on my last step then mashout....beersmith is gettin the temps right on the nose for each step!

If you haven't, see Kaiser's amazingly helpful videos.

You can add back the boiling decoction (and stir) until the next rest temp is achieved, and then let the remainder of the decoction cool to temp before combining.

Back