Banjo Burner problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpburns

Reaction score
Ok I need some help. I have 3 banjo burners connected to ½ black pipe and with a ball value connected to each burner via a yellow gas lines. I have a Bayou Classic 30 PSI Propane Regulator kit. All new construction.

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/5hpr30-high-pressure-propane-regulator-kit.htm

When I open the tank slowly to full and light one burner I get a high yellow flame. I have tried adjusting the regulator and I haven’t been able to get a good blue flame. Any idea what I am doing wrong? :mad:

Thanks for your help.

Have you tried adjusting the air shutter? I typically have the shutters on my banjos set around half open to get a nice blue flame...

Cheers!

You have to close the regulator completely and then open the tank valve. Then you can start opening the regulator and light the burner.

Any other combination seems to produce weird results (like you're getting) for me. I generally run the shutters wide open.

I

Did you replace the brass fitting shipped with the burner?, if so then the high pressure orifice fitting needs to go back in. Without a restriction in the gas flow you will have 2-3 foot flames because the hardware store flare to pipe adapter has a 1/4" hole instead of a 1/16" hole like the high pressure jet does.

If all is installed properly then it's a simple as twisting the air flow adjuster on the burner. Grab a pair of work gloves, light the burner then twist until you get blue flame.

The orifice valves that came with mine worked fine with the 30 psi regulator and a propane tank.

Did you replace the brass fitting shipped with the burner?, if so then the high pressure orifice fitting needs to go back in. Without a restriction in the gas flow you will have 2-3 foot flames because the hardware store flare to pipe adapter has a 1/4" hole instead of a 1/16" hole like the high pressure jet does.

I didn't change the brass fitting. I am using the one that it was shipped with. Is it possible the brass fitting that came with the burner is low pressure? Would that cause this problem?

You have to close the regulator completely and then open the tank valve. Then you can start opening the regulator and light the burner.

Any other combination seems to produce weird results (like you're getting) for me. I generally run the shutters wide open.

I

I agree with this.

Ok following the suggestions above I now have the first burner working great.

However, as soon as I open the valve on the second burner to light it I lose almost all pressure on the first. Even if I shut off the valve on the second burner I can’t regain pressure on the first unless I shut off the valve on the tank and reopen and relight.

Is this due to not having the correct pressure on the adjustable regulator?

I just get the first one burning well and then open the valve for the second burner and light it quickly. This takes the first burner down a little, but opening the regulator a little more takes care of it.

Thanks for all the feedback. I was still having problems getting more than one burner going. I got a different propane tank. Problem solved. I am now able to run all 3 at once although it works better with only 2 going at a time. Looking forward to breaking it in this weekend. :D

kpburns said:
Thanks for all the feedback. I was still having problems getting more than one burner going. I got a different propane tank. Problem solved. I am now able to run all 3 at once although it works better with only 2 going at a time. Looking forward to breaking it in this weekend. :D

Did you use the same style tank or get a bigger one?

It's working better with two than three because you have a problem with volume. The pressure will equalize to whatever size pipe you are using, but you are not getting enough flow for all three burners. Replace the 1/2" pipe with 3/4" and you should be good to go. Also the yellow flame is a sign of incomplete combustion due to a lack of "make up air". Just adjust the air shutter as sugested and you should be fine.

Not to steal your thread, but I dod the same set up and I almost always get the frost on my propane tank when I use one of my burners. Usually do a 90 min boil as low as I can to get a rolling boil. Luckily I habe not frozen and lines yet, but last week I had to switch tanks because I almost ftoze my lines.
After researching, it seems to be doing because I am pulling more gas than the tank can produce. The only solution I can come up with is getting a bigger tank... bummer. I use the standard grill size one.. 20 lbs I think.
Anyone else have this issue? Any other suggestions for improvement?

Not to steal your thread, but I dod the same set up and I almost always get the frost on my propane tank when I use one of my burners. Usually do a 90 min boil as low as I can to get a rolling boil. Luckily I habe not frozen and lines yet, but last week I had to switch tanks because I almost ftoze my lines.
After researching, it seems to be doing because I am pulling more gas than the tank can produce. The only solution I can come up with is getting a bigger tank... bummer. I use the standard grill size one.. 20 lbs I think.
Anyone else have this issue? Any other suggestions for improvement?

If you brew outdoors in the sun, painting the tank black may work. Also, if you can get it close enough to your burners for the residual heat to get to the tank that can help as well, just be very sure of your connections. You may also be able to put an electric space heater pointed at the tank on high. One other thing that can come into play, if you have a tank that was filled during the summer months, the butane mix in the gas could be very high compared to the straight propane that is normally used during cooler months. Butane doesn't vaporize as easily, and can tend to freeze up a tank more easily.

Otherwise you may need to go to a larger tank. Some places do sell 33lb tanks (I've seen them at Northern Tool and Tractor Supply) that have the standard grill tank connections on them. Most of the larger 100lb tanks have internal threads only on the connection, which may or may not be an issue depending on your connection type.

It was a freshly filled tank but I dont know the mix on it. I think I'll move it closer to the burner and see if that works

Latest posts

Back