wlp810 high attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently brewed a lager 2 weeks ago using 810.
this was an all grain 5 gallon batch.
og was 1.048 and according to the program I use, the expected fg would be 1.017 based on 68% attenuation.
I read that a maximum of 72% was for this strain.
Ferm temps fluctuated between 55f and 57f over the two week with the exception of 2 day d-Rest.
anyhow l, took hydro reading today and have a reading of 1.008, by my calculation that 83% attenuation.
Is this right and has anybody else experienced this from this strain?

cheers guys

Was this a all grain or extract batch? If its a all grain at what temp did you mash at? And am sure there's no problem with the yeast I've had wlp810 attenuate to 80% before. How does it taste?

Im not sure yet im going to bottle shortly. It was all grain mashed at 148f for 2 hours.
Im really suprise I got that much attenuation.
im tasted half as good as it smells then I will be very happy

You mashed at 148 for 2 hours and are wondering why you saw very high attenuation? Next time try a 60 minute mash at 152.

Dont get me wrong, im not unhappy with it, just wondering if the mash schedule really make a huge difference in attenuation of a yeast that says its 72% max.
when they specify those figures, are they assuming that the mash is of a higher temp?
I was looking to make a nice, Easy drinking lager but the only reason I went for this yeast is because of temps as it can be a bit hit and miss here this time of year.

Dont get me wrong, im not unhappy with it, just wondering if the mash schedule really make a huge difference in attenuation of a yeast that says its 72% max.
when they specify those figures, are they assuming that the mash is of a higher temp?
I was looking to make a nice, Easy drinking lager but the only reason I went for this yeast is because of temps as it can be a bit hit and miss here this time of year.

Yes, because you gave it mostly fermentable sugars, hardly any dextrins. 148 is LOW as it is. I overnight mash, so I hit some low temps later in the night, a few hours after the mash has started, and I have gotten as high as 95% attenuation in a Pale Ale that also had 19% Crystal 40 in it.

Software typically grossly overestimates the final gravity. I usually get better attenuation than the published range out of my yeast. It's also relative to original gravity.

Software typically grossly overestimates the final gravity. I usually get better attenuation than the published range out of my yeast. It's also relative to original gravity.

+1 This is absolutely true. As the software doesn't compensate for mash temp or the amount of yeast that you are pitching. Most of the time my f.g. is lower than what my software said it would be. Beside i feel 1.008 is a perfect f.g. for a lager!!

Really, to me, there's below 1.010, and then there's above. Below is going to taste dry, mostly, and is perfect for pales, IPAs, light lagers/pilsners, etc. The above would be great for malty lagers, porters, stouts, etc.

Really, to me, there's below 1.010, and then there's above. Below is going to taste dry, mostly, and is perfect for pales, IPAs, light lagers/pilsners, etc. The above would be great for malty lagers, porters, stouts, etc.

Well that's true I kind of figured that OP brewed a light type lager. What am basing that on i have no idea lol. Since it wasn't in mentioned in the OP. But yeah for a malty lager i like them to finish around 1.012!! I think for something like a helles 1.008 would great.

I was going for a light ish lager but with more hoppy presence, not as much as a pilsner though.
tasting at bottling time was amazing, very clean apart from the added sugar for priming and loads of flavor from the tettnanger hops.
I have high hopes for this as most of my lager so far have been a little sweet, personally I didnt mind at all but my mates did.

I was going for a light ish lager but with more hoppy presence, not as much as a pilsner though.
tasting at bottling time was amazing, very clean apart from the added sugar for priming and loads of flavor from the tettnanger hops.
I have high hopes for this as most of my lager so far have been a little sweet, personally I didnt mind at all but my mates did.

Ahh so I was right!! Lol your f.g. is right on for what you were going for. And am sure it will turn out great!!

I just kegged 2 beers where this strain was used, my first time using it, and they both attenuated more than expected. I'm happy with both beers and will simply calculate for the higher attenuation next time I use it.

You were right indeed.
I was happy to think I was going to get a lager with more body and maltiness at about 4.2% but now I have a dry lager with a 5.2% punch........ Happy days

Latest posts

Back