yeast starter or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewskiBroski

Reaction score
I am making an America Amber Ale recipe. The recipe includes 5lb LME and 3 lbs DME. Will a beer with so much malt need a yeast starter or will using some liquid ale yeast be sufficient? Any suggestions?

I suggest a healthy starter. Liquid yeast pouches/vials have no where near the amount of yeast you should usually pitch into a 5 gallon batch. They're really not tough to make. Check out the yeast pitching calculator at http://www.mrmalty.com/

You want the starter OG to be 1.030 to 1.040. So in 1.8 L that's probably about 5-6 oz or so.

I'm just ballparking here, but 1 1/4 cup sounds about right.

Basic starter directions:
Boil about 2L water (you'll lose some to evaporation so you'll get close to the 1.8L you're shooting for by the end of the boiling), add the DME (and 1 tsp yeast nutrient if you have some), continue boiling for 10 min or so, then put in an ice bath (or just cool it) until it's 80F. Sanitize the starter container and anything else that'll come into contact with anything after this point. Put the wort into the starter container, then pitch the yeast into that. Aerate REALLY well - and also swirl the solution as often as you can to keep aerating the wort during the starter's fermentation ("every time you walk by").

Then you need to either:

1) try to pitch it into the wort at the high krausen (but it's really hard to judge that - could be 12 to 24 hours or so) - you can always just ballpark it, and pitch it when you're done brewing and your wort is ready OR

2) let it ferment out for a couple of days until it's beginning to clear and at that point put it into the fridge. Pull it out when you start your brew day so it can get to room temp. Decant off a bunch of the clear liquid (but not all), swirl the yeast into the remaining clear solution, then pitch the yeast starter into the fermenter when the wort's at fermentation temp.

Back