sediment after 4 days bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaseaholic

Reaction score
So my first batch of extract brew has been bottle condionioning for about 5 weeks with no signs of sediment until recently.Patience is a virtue and i can wait.The weird thing is ive cracked a few after 3 weeks and there was one that was perfectly carbed and beautiful.The only thing different about that bottle was that it was the only one i used a sierra nevada style stubby 12 oz.

Currently i bottled my first AG batch and it has been conditioning for 4 days and i already have visable sediment!!! Is this a good sign or does it portend bottle bombs?

I don't think sediment really has any bearing on its potential to be a bottle bomb. Sugar is what makes it a bomb, not yeast/hops, etc. Now if that's all sugar at the bottom then you better hit the deck, solider! :D

The batch I just bottled had some rather fast sediment too. I think that is normal and your batch with no sediment after 5 weeks is probably the "weird" one :p

It's all good. Different yeasts ferment out at different paces. Depends on numerous things: Could be warmer now than your last brew, or maybe there is more simple sugars left to convert, or maybe the yeast is just faster acting.

It doesn't mean anything without more information...

1. the high heat in the midwest is going to make this batch carb faster than your batch from over a month ago.
2. all grain produces more break material, and if you moved a lot of that into the primary, that means more 'stuff' in the bucket to fall out of solution.
3. how long was primary? did you rack really carefully? less than stellar racking will leave things in suspension when you bottle, and it falls out in the bottle IN ADDITION to the sediment produced during bottle conditioning.

Speed of conditioning really isn't related to bottle bombs. If you added double the priming sugar at bottling, its not going to carb twice as fast...its just going to be twice as carbed when it does carb.

And the sediment is probably really loose right now. Over the next couple weeks and months it'll pack down and there will appear to be "less" sediment.

It doesn't mean anything without more information...

1. the high heat in the midwest is going to make this batch carb faster than your batch from over a month ago.
2. all grain produces more break material, and if you moved a lot of that into the primary, that means more 'stuff' in the bucket to fall out of solution.
3. how long was primary? did you rack really carefully? less than stellar racking will leave things in suspension when you bottle, and it falls out in the bottle IN ADDITION to the sediment produced during bottle conditioning.

Speed of conditioning really isn't related to bottle bombs. If you added double the priming sugar at bottling, its not going to carb twice as fast...its just going to be twice as carbed when it does carb.

1.Yes midwest heat sux!!!! i got about 73 degrees in my basement right now.
3.I primaried for 2 weeks fg was 1.012 and racked to secondary.Secondary for a week and FG was the same.Im thinking i may have siphoned a little heavy into the trub when transfering to bottling bucket.

thanks for your help...HBTF is my bible for my new religion!!

Back