Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow does the beer selection in winter haven suck. i cant even get some hoegaarden at a publix. lame. thank god i payed wards a visit before i left gainesville.

Knightly Spirits in Orlando is awesome (the Hiawassee Road location), but I see that's a pretty long drive from where you are at.

Got my shiny new (well, used and somewhat dinged) kegerator set up. After Chris bought the $20 Sanyo a few weeks ago right from under my nose, I picked up a used 4910 today. Cleaned it and threaded the almost-too-short gas line through the drain plug. Unfortunately, it had a gas line leak when I tested it, but it looks like I was able to fix it with a new hose clamp.

Since the top had paint stains and scratches on it, I sanded it smooth and sprayed it with some black chalkboard paint.

Just dropped off 6 different beers at Swamphead to enter into the Hogtown BrewOff. The Swamphead setup is pretty cool, but it was a ***** to find.

Just kegged my RyePA. Still needs to be dryhopped with an oz of Amarillo.

I think something went wrong with the Berliner Weisse I made. I had a tremendous fermentation after I added the lactobacillus, but nothing since I added the regular yeast. I'll let it sit for a few days; then I'll start messing with it if nothing happens (probably adding some more wort along with some fresh yeast, maybe even Brett).

so here is my awesome story from last weekend. i was driving up to minneola to look at a bike. i do a u turn to head back home and the word brewery catches my eye. it was on the back of a building in a small plaza. very easy to miss. needless to say i swung a hard right to check it out. so it ends up being a small brewery that ive never heard of in the middle of nowhere, sweet! it gets even better. they have a tasting room and its open. me and liz had a few beer and grabbed a sixer for home. anyone ever heard of them, effinheimerbeer.com. it was pretty good beer i would definatly go back.

is anyone going to the florida beer fest in orlando this saturday?

Brewed this up last night:

6 Lbs. Weyerman Vienna
3 Lbs. Weyerman Wheat

.5 oz. Hallataur @60 min.
.5 oz. Hallataur @ 15 min.

1 Vial WLP400 (no starter)
5 grams Nottingham

Pitched at 10:30 PM last night, airlock happily bubbling with about 1/2" krausen at 5:30 this morning!

Brewed this up last night:

6 Lbs. Weyerman Vienna
3 Lbs. Weyerman Wheat

.5 oz. Hallataur @60 min.
.5 oz. Hallataur @ 15 min.

1 Vial WLP400 (no starter)
5 grams Nottingham

Pitched at 10:30 PM last night, airlock happily bubbling with about 1/2" krausen at 5:30 this morning!
An unspiced, light wheat wit? Sounds interesting.

Got my score sheets today, one non-certified judge and one National. Basically the beer was too bitter and too much hop flavor (which should say something about my tastebuds... I thought it was pretty well balanced... I also think that of Arrogant Bastard though...).

Got my scores back from the Hogtown Brewoff as well:

American Brown: 31, 27
English Pale Ale: 26, 28
Ordinary Bitter: 33, 31
English IPA: 40, 38
Weizenbock: 37, 40 (over a year old, wb-06)
Strong Scotch Ale: 38, 39 (half Vienna half MO base)

I'm very happy with my results overall. I only wish I had some more of my DELICIOUS (cough) cream ale to enter. I thought my English Pale Ale would do better but every ugly baby is beautiful to their parents I guess.

(40 on Weizenbock and didn't place though! wtf!)

What were your comments like on the English Pale Ale? They said mine was too bitter, the Novice judge went as far as to say it was astringent (though the National judge said it was near flawless technically?)

What were your comments

Judge 1 said that it had discernible phenolic/plastic flavors. He said not to use plastic hoses (?!?) and to ferment in glass (I did). He also flagged it as Grassy and Astringent.

Judge 2 said it was drinkable but lacked malt character. (I agree with this judge)

Judge 1 said that it had discernible phenolic/plastic flavors. He said not to use plastic hoses (?!?) and to ferment in glass (I did). He also flagged it as Grassy and Astringent.

Judge 2 said it was drinkable but lacked malt character. (I agree with this judge)
Mine were almost identical except the phenolic/plastic.

One judge said grassy and astringent the other said not enough malt. We got pretty much the same scores as well.

Barron just told me he scored a 43 with his bitter and didn't place.

I call Shenanigans on this comp. This same **** happened last year. I bet if we would have put the right club name down everyone would have ribbons.I didn't enter this year and I'll never enter it again.

I would also attach a picture of my balls in that email.

Lol, very tempting. Here's his exact words:

"...Do not use plastic hoses, try to ferment in glass, samitize."

Do you think he is saying for me to replace my hoses, maybe because there's a bug in them? Or am I giving him too much credit.

Lol, very tempting. Here's his exact words:

"...Do not use plastic hoses, try to ferment in glass, samitize."

Do you think he is saying for me to replace my hoses, maybe because there's a bug in them? Or am I giving him too much credit.
Maybe he thinks silicone hoses are needed for everything?

As for fermenting in glass... mine was fermented in plastic and I received no such comment.

How the hell does someone score a 43 and not place? There must have been some amazing beers there...

WHOAH. Check this. One of the Hogtown Brewers placed with THIRTEEN beers?!?!

http://www.hogtownbrewers.org/Brewoff/BrewoffFrames.html
Look for "Darryl Kochaniec"

WHAT. THE. ****. Jamil Z probably couldn't have place 13 beers in 12 categories. Yup, he placed FIRST AND SECOND in Smoked/Wood-aged Beers. Seriously?

They don't list the scores of the beers that placed, unfortunately. I thought it was weird that I didn't place with a 37/40 on a Weizenbock but Barron not placing with a 43 Bitter is f*cking nuts.

Look at 2009 and you'll see a lot of the same names this year.

WHOAH. Check this. One of the Hogtown Brewers placed with THIRTEEN beers?!?!

http://www.hogtownbrewers.org/Brewoff/BrewoffFrames.html
Look for "Darryl Kochaniec"

WHAT. THE. ****. Jamil Z probably couldn't have place 13 beers in 12 categories. Yup, he placed FIRST AND SECOND in Smoked/Wood-aged Beers. Seriously?

They don't list the scores of the beers that placed, unfortunately. I thought it was weird that I didn't place with a 37/40 on a Weizenbock but Barron not placing with a 43 Bitter is f*cking nuts.

Look at 2009 and you'll see a lot of the same names this year.

yup, that comp is definitely rigged. Knowing how much they care about club points (which are earned at competitions), it's no surprise. If you're a member they pay 100% of the cost for you to enter a competition. Shipping, entry fees, everything. Every time someone from a club places, that club gets a point depending on the place they take.

Copied directly from their site:

2010 Results
HIGH POINT CLUBS

Hogtown Brewers

Tampa Bay Beers

Central Florida Home Brewers

2009 Results
HIGH POINT CLUBS

Hogtown Brewers

Central Florida Home Brewers

Tampa Bay Beers

Showing some humbleness in 2008

HIGH POINT CLUBS

1st - Tampa Bay Beers

2nd - Hogtown Brewers

3rd - Central Florida Home Brewers

2007 Results
HIGH POINT CLUBS

1st - Hogtown Brewers

2nd - Central Florida Homebrewers

3rd - Tampa Bay Beers

It's a waste of time and money entering that competition. I'd send them an e-mail asking the scores of the other beers in that category without telling them your name.

Hey guys, Alex here!

I finally found the thread you guys are all on. At least I am assuming it is the right one. Can't be too far off when Chris is telling people he will email pictures of his balls to judges.

So I've been reading the florida statutes regarding beer/wine/distributing.

Here's something I ran into:

Section 562.27

(6) Any vehicle, vessel, or aircraft used in the transportation or removal of or for the deposit or concealment of any illicit liquor still or stilling apparatus; any mash, wort, wash, or other fermented liquids capable of being distilled or manufactured into an alcoholic beverage; or any alcoholic beverage commonly known and referred to as "moonshine whiskey" shall be seized and may be forfeited as provided by the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act. Any sheriff, deputy sheriff, employee of the division, or police officer may seize any of the vehicles, vessels, or conveyances, and the same may be forfeited as provided by law.

Does that mean that when we brew at the shop, if I drive home with a carboy they can not only take my wort but also my car?

wtf?

Queue the "Dukes of Hazard" music here.

Interestingly, since it says you can't transport "fermented liquids", then to me it reads that you CAN transport wort, but you CAN'T transport anything already fermented that's ready to be distilled. So if you pitch before you leave the shop, you gotta drive home real fast before the yeast take off. Once they start fermenting, then your car could be seized.

And since you can distill wine into brandy, I suggest we wait outside the wine shop and make a bunch of citizens arrests and car confiscations!

So I've been reading the florida statutes regarding beer/wine/distributing.

Here's something I ran into:

Section 562.27

(6) Any vehicle, vessel, or aircraft used in the transportation or removal of or for the deposit or concealment of any illicit liquor still or stilling apparatus; any mash, wort, wash, or other fermented liquids capable of being distilled or manufactured into an alcoholic beverage; or any alcoholic beverage commonly known and referred to as "moonshine whiskey" shall be seized and may be forfeited as provided by the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act. Any sheriff, deputy sheriff, employee of the division, or police officer may seize any of the vehicles, vessels, or conveyances, and the same may be forfeited as provided by law.

Does that mean that when we brew at the shop, if I drive home with a carboy they can not only take my wort but also my car?

wtf?

Sounds like they are talking about fermented wort but wouldn't be surprised if an overzealous cop/abc agent took it as any wort. It's been a while since I've done any reading in that section though and there might be a homebrew exemption somewhere else (it is illegal to own bottles with the intent to fill them if you don't have a manufacturers license... but homebrewers are exempt.)

wtf?

so mash/wort is jumbled in to fermented liquids? I don't get this...

I know this part is supposed to be geared towards distilling but it clearly says mash/wort is illegal and any fermented liquids capable of making alcoholic beverages (when in a car that is not licensed to distribute)

now: section 562.165 creates an exemption for homebrewing of beer and wine (for 100 gallons for a 1 person household and 200 for 2 or more)

Does section 562.165 exempt us from this ridiculous car law saying our car can get seized (because it's brewing for personal and family consumption and not for sale or distilling)?

of course none of us will ever be pulled over for such a ridiculous law but I was just fascinated that it's in the books...

Sounds like they are talking about fermented wort but wouldn't be surprised if an overzealous cop/abc agent took it as any wort. It's been a while since I've done any reading in that section though and there might be a homebrew exemption somewhere else (it is illegal to own bottles with the intent to fill them if you don't have a manufacturers license... but homebrewers are exempt.)

only problem I have with the fermented wort crap the law seems to say is that fermented wort for us = uncarbonated beer.

so I guess it would fall under open container if it's open and uncarbonated?

Also, another quick fact, if you are in possession of more than 4.5 gallons of beer and the container doesn't have Florida or FL written on it (if brewed in florida) you are automatically counted as resale and since you don't have a license: Misdemeanor

Section 563.06

(3) Possession by any person in the state, except as otherwise provided herein, of more than 4 1/2 gallons of malt beverages in individual containers which do not have the word "Florida" or "FL" as herein provided, shall be prima facie evidence that said malt beverage is possessed for the purpose of sale or resale.
(6) All malt beverages packaged in individual containers sold or offered for sale by vendors at retail in this state shall be in individual containers containing no more than 32 ounces of such malt beverages; provided, however, that nothing contained in this section shall affect malt beverages packaged in bulk or in kegs or in barrels or in any individual container containing 1 gallon or more of such malt beverage regardless of individual container type.

so if I buy 3 24 packs of bottles at the store I'm violating the law?

I don't get these laws.....

Latest posts

Back