is this ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcr42

Reaction score
ok so i just started my first batch so i'm paranoid about everything ever.

heres my problem:

i dont have a measuring cup or anything so to measure out the 3.5 gallons of water i needed to put in the fermenter i went out and bout a new gallon of water from the store (in a plastic jug) and i poured that in, and then filled it up 2.5 more times and poured that in.

now my concern with that is that i never sterilized the jug i used to pour in the water. i didn't realize this until it was too late and im hoping that since it was a new bottle that it might have been sterilized by whoever bottled it, but im worried about it. is this going to be a serious problem?

thank you :mug:

You should be fine. I did the same thing several times and everything turned out fine. It would probably be best if you did sanitize it, but don't worry about it.

now my concern with that is that i never sterilized the jug i used to pour in the water. i didn't realize this until it was too late and im hoping that since it was a new bottle that it might have been sterilized by whoever bottled it, but im worried about it. is this going to be a serious problem? thank you :mug:

I do this everytime I brew. You'll be fine. If it still bothers you, alter your technique next time and sterilize the jug. I'd be very surprised if you have any problems. In about 4 weeks you'll be drinking your own beer. Enjoy!

Back